Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flashing oil light but oil is full...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM
Winching
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

You don't have to remove the engine, but most of the front end (front cover) must be removed.

Any mechanic should be able to check your pressure but I would use someone you trust if you aren't going to do it yourself. The question is, are you going to have the truck towed?

If you don't already have it -- go to landroverresource.com and download a copy of the Rave workshop manual. It will walk you through almost any procedure step by step.

Last edited by willrok13; 02-07-2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Spike -
I'm looking over old Maint records from the original owner and both Rover dealerships
(Princeton & Cherry Hill, NJ) both used 5W/30 for oil changes. ???
Would this contribute to the failure of the oil pump? I still can't find my service records, but I can only assume if the Rover dealership was using 5W/30 my guy was probably using that as well since I didn't specify type.

I went to garage to move car to a rear spot so the workers wouldn't be starting when moving other cars around and light didn't come on - Hopefully I'll have some pressure numbers to report to you on Wednesday or Thursday.
Thanks for the help!

Old 02-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@ Willrock
My insurance covers tows, so chances are I'll take it up to the Rover guy in the Bronx or see if DIY is something I can manage. (Problem is I pay for a spot in a Manhattan garage and you can't really work on your car)
Just all a hassle...I guess I got too cocky thinking that maybe I would get away with not having to spend a ton of money or have a bunch of problems. HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

(Last week I got a flat 1 block from my final destination & the horn switch needs to be replaced because one of the covers had a piece break off and now the horn cover & spring pop off whenever I try to use the horn)
*sigh*

Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Me thinks if you drain the oil and dump in some 10w40 then the flashing oil light problem will go away.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, take your truck in the night before so they can cold stat it and read the pressure cold at idle and at 2000 RPM's then again when warm at idle and at 2000 RPM's.
Before you let them do any repairs, reply back to us with the 4 sets of numbers.
Second, Rover lights don't flicker unless there is a true problem, in your case oil pressure a 7 pounds or less.
If the pump is bad, you can but a oil pump repair kit from British Parts of Utah for around $130.
Let us know what they find and don't drive it till it can be checked.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
Me thinks if you drain the oil and dump in some 10w40 then the flashing oil light problem will go away.
In very cold temps (like where he is in NY), shouldn't you go with 5w40 or even 0w40? In the manual, the 10w40 is only recommended for higher outside temps. I put in the M1 10w40 this time and I'm thinking I should have gone with 5 or even 0. The engine seems much louder when cold now (I have no clue what they had in it before me).

Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
In very cold temps (like where he is in NY), shouldn't you go with 5w40 or even 0w40? In the manual, the 10w40 is only recommended for higher outside temps. I put in the M1 10w40 this time and I'm thinking I should have gone with 5 or even 0. The engine seems much louder when cold now (I have no clue what they had in it before me).
True... move to Florida and you don't have that problem

Old 02-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
True... move to Florida and you don't have that problem
I would if I didn't like skiing, boarding and mountain biking so much! Maybe when I'm too old for stuff like that! We do have condo there, and there are MANY times I wonder why the heck we don't do that full time! Never figured FL would be a good Rover area being the lack of hills. You could drive on the beach by us, but at a 10MPH limit there is not much fun in that!

Old 02-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by devildollnyc
@ Spike -
I'm looking over old Maint records from the original owner and both Rover dealerships
(Princeton & Cherry Hill, NJ) both used 5W/30 for oil changes. ???
Would this contribute to the failure of the oil pump? I still can't find my service records, but I can only assume if the Rover dealership was using 5W/30 my guy was probably using that as well since I didn't specify type.

I went to garage to move car to a rear spot so the workers wouldn't be starting when moving other cars around and light didn't come on - Hopefully I'll have some pressure numbers to report to you on Wednesday or Thursday.
Thanks for the help!
No 5w-30 would not have made the oil pump wear out.

I use 5w-40 in the winter and 15w-40 in the summer.
But I live in MI where it gets really cold in the winter.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:24 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
I live in MI, it was -3 last week on my way to work.
I use Shell Rotella, 5w-40 in the winter and 15w-40 in the summer.

Quick Reply: Flashing oil light but oil is full...