Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Towing '03 Behind a Motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck on your purchase.

One other thing I forgot to mention about towing lights. Unlike Bryan, I did not put separate bulbs in the rear light housing to operate turn signals, brakes, etc. I went to my local trailer shop and paid him to tap into the existing tail lights.

Since these discos have separate turn and brake lights, as well as European pin set up for towing, I wanted to pay to have someone who was familiar with this setup get it right the first time. I think I was out of pocket $200, maybe $150 labor and $50 for parts. Just don't recall the breakdown, but I have piece of mind knowing that my local trailer guys did the job right. BTW, it wasn't U-Haul; an actual trailer shop here in the North Shore of Boston did the job.

Finally and in case you are wondering, the trailer wiring harness can be located inside the right rear turn signal assembly. At least for my '03 disco.

gbob

Old 08-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Three Wheeling

OK, I did it!!!!!!!!! We now have parked on our driveway a shinny (after a really good wash and wax) 2004 Disco II.

Let's revisit your posts as I begin to spend more money getting ready to tow:
1. I've already got a Blackhawk tow-bar from a previous toad
2. I will be doing the battery charging from MH kit - definitely worth the elimination of any worrying. Did you order and give to installer or have them buy/order/build? Toad Charger - TOAD-CHARGE Dinghy Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer - this one seems like a no-brainer even for me to install. Just getting a bit dirty from crawling around.
3. Did either of you install any/all of this yourselves or have your local hitch place do the work?
a. Front base plate
b. Toad Charger
c. etc.
4. After having gone through all of this, what would you do differently/better/not done?

Thanks

Old 08-12-2013, 05:52 AM
Rock Crawling

Congrats on the Disco....I've always wanted one and got mine in Feb. of this year. We used to tow my wife's minicooper front wheels up, but sold it so that we could tow four down. Prefer four down any day of the week vs. front two wheels up. Ok, as for your questions.

1. You're Black Hawk tow bar is fine. The only other thing I would look into is a drop-hitch. Sounds like you towed already and are familiar with the process, but I would like to mention the drop hitch in any event. And don't just go to Harbor Freight and purchase a drop hitch; pop the $100 or so and purchase a drop hitch that is rated for 10k pounds of towing. These landy's weigh in at at hefty 4600 pounds +/-, while the HF drop hitches are3 rated only for 4k pounds of tow strength.
2. Did the toad charger myself. Good investment. Don't forget hooking up of lights. for the dinghy.
3. a. I Installed the front base plate. Got it from e-trailer. Instructions for install were the pits and helped only a smidgin'. Also, plan on at least 5 hours to do the install yourself. Holes for everything just barely lined up to the Disco, but worked. You'll have to remove the crumble plate (it's the big u-shaped black thing located behind the and under the front bumper). You cannot reattach the unit.
b. I installed toad charger. Straight forward. I purchased additional wiring from my local trailer shop.
4. I wouldn't do anything different. Installing base plate was a hassle, but I got intimate with the LR, so I can see how it is put together. I have a four pin set-up on my Class A (gas). Disco has four pin setup and the toad charger is a two pin set up. I would probably up grade to a 7 pin set up and designate the two of the pins for the toad charger and four of the pins for turn signals and therefore, only having one set of wires to attach as opposed to the two sets of connections.
5. Get a brake buddy or something of the sort for the DISCO. I use RviBrake and found it very easy to install and remove.

Rob

Old 08-12-2013, 02:56 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll add a few things to Rob's excellent summary:

1. Agreed that you should buy a quality drop hitch if one is necessary, but for my MH, it was not needed. The disco is about 1-2" lower than the receiver hitch, so the bar has a slight angle downward, which is preferred. Most manufacturers say the difference should be no more than 4". Consult your tow bar manufacturer for details if your hitch ends up substantially higher than the disco.
2. For charging, I simply ran a charge line from the 7-pin of the MH to the disco battery (with an inline fuse). I did not use any smart charging equipment, but I have not had any problems after several thousand miles of towing.
3. As Rob described, I used a 7-pin to 6-pin coiled pigtail between the MH and disco, so that's the only thing I need to plug in each time.
4. Also as Rob said, the Blue Ox baseplate was a bit of a pain to install. I needed longer than supplied bolts for the rear-most two mounts. You must also remove the front bumper and crumple bar (or whatever it's called) as Rob described. Nothing is all that hard....just a bit tedious.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:32 PM
Three Wheeling

Rob and Bryan:

All good info.

Just prior to reading your last posts I visited our local (and previously used) trailer shop and discussed the specifics. What I wound up doing is:
1. Ordered through them a Roadmaster XL Tow Bar Brackets | Land rover Discovery II, Land rover Discovery II, La [ 1910-1 ]. The unit cost/sells for $399 plus shipping and CA sales tax - roughly $525 to me if I ordered directly . Trailer shop is charging me for them to purchase this and installing it $650
2. Wiring the Disco and thereby using the existing Disco rear lights, my bill is $275 INSTALLED AND GUARANTEED
3. I purchased the 60' TOAD-CHARGE Towed Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer Product Name : 60' TOAD-CHARGE Towed Vehicle Battery Charger/Maintainer - $124.90. I will install this (appears to be a no-brainer even for me). Not sure that I really need this, but.. It would be worth it if we avoid only one problem on the road.

So what I loosely figured is that the up-charge for hiring the talented and very well qualified trailer shop (been in the same place since 1962 and we've used them before) is about $225 for the entire list of parts, shipping, CA tax and installation and GUARANTEE/WARRANTY. In my humble - but somewhat valuable (at least to me) - opinion, it was/will be worth more. But please do not tell them.

Thank you both for your advise and going before me!!!!!!!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Rock Crawling

Glade I could help.

Remember, for everyone's safety sake, get an AUX brake system for your Landy. Didn't read that you had this on your bucket list - but smart to get one.

Another forum member suggested something rather funny to me, but I never did it. So, maybe you can do it and upload your photo. The forum member suggested that I get a rather large sign and tape it to the back of the Disco with the following inscription:

"STAND BACK....I'M PUSHING THIS ****ING MOTORHOME!"

Rob

Old 08-21-2013, 10:03 PM
Three Wheeling

Well, the Disco is in the shop now getting its front towing/receiver and wiring set up. Should be all done tomorrow afternoon when we'll pick it up, connect it up and be on our way to King's Canyon area for some R&R - hopefully before it all burns down.

I'll let you'll know how it work out.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Just For Fun
Well, the Disco is in the shop now getting its front towing/receiver and wiring set up. Should be all done tomorrow afternoon when we'll pick it up, connect it up and be on our way to King's Canyon area for some R&R - hopefully before it all burns down.

I'll let you'll know how it work out.

Well?? You still towing a disco?? I would like to do this myself.

Old 04-30-2019, 08:13 PM
Drifting
Default Anyone still flat towing their LR Disco's?

I am getting the Blue Ox kit of products to set my 02 Disco up as a toad.
Any issues that I need to know about that you may have encountered??
I'm pulling with a 2018 Forest River Forester 3051S - a Ford E450 chassis.
Thanks!

Old 05-01-2019, 11:23 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

We'll probably never get an answer, but this thread pretty much covers it all I think. I still haven't set mine up, I need a bigger motorhome first.

Quick Reply: Flat Towing '03 Behind a Motorhome