Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat Towing '03 Behind a Motorhome

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 06:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat Towing '03 Behind a Motorhome

I'm setting up my disco for towing behind a motorhome. I've done this in the past with a Jeep Wrangler and love the option of flat towing vs. using a trailer.

The owner's manual says keep the transmission in park and tcase in neutral, which makes perfect sense. It also says to put the key in position 2 so that brake and signal lights still work (and the steering wheel remains unlocked). It specifically says not to leave the key in position 0 b/c a mileage discrepancy will occur.

So here's my question. I'll be using indepedent light bulbs within the tailight housings that are lit by the motorhome's trailer lights, therefore I do not need the Disco's factory lights or signals. Position 2 energizes other systems within the Disco and will run down the battery in relatively short order. Does anyone have experience towing in Position 1? That should keep the wheels unlocked but not drain the battery as bad. I don't undertand the mileage discrepancy issue described in the manual if the key is left in Position 0 (seems like that would also lock the front wheels, which is a no no for towing). Any thoughts on leaving the key in Position 1?

Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Position "1" should be fine.
I think what they are saying is that the computer will still register that the truck is moving and racking up miles but the odometer will not and if they do not match exactly you are screwed, the OD will blink and the only way to fix it is to take it to the dealer.
I would leave the transmission in neutral also if it were me.
Bring a jump box or hook the battery into your motor homes charging system to keep it full.
You could easily run wire from the motor homes battery and "jumper" your Disco's battery.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:37 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

You want the trans in park so the output doesn't turn at all. T-case is splash lubed, but the trans you don't want turning without the pump being driven.
I believe even in pos. 1 you will run into an odometer discrepancy. I can't think of any reason you can't disconnect the battery after setting the t-case into neutral.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:19 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, trans in park is a must.

I could easily disconnect the battery, but I'm still wondering if there would be an odometer issue. Seems like it would be ok since the computer and odometer would be disabled (I think).

Old 04-22-2013, 09:47 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

It's fully electronic, so if you take away the electricity, it doesn't know you're moving. Just the normal added maintenance of flat towing as you are adding miles on all the parts that do move.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Rock Crawling

Great. Thanks Dave and Spike. I'll give it a try in position 1 and battery disconnected.

Worst case, is the disco still drivable if I somehow manage to cause an odometer issue? Wouldn't want to get stranded and have to tow it to the dealer.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

IMHO also unplug the underhood alarm switch. This will keep the alarm from waking up at battery re-connect, and thinking it is under attack, immobilizing, etc. The odometer issue just flashes, to show that cluster display and stored data in one of the computer modules does not match.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:21 AM
Rock Crawling

Savannah, where is the alarm switch you're talking about? And why does unplugging it make a difference? Isn't that just the same as cutting power to it (ie disconnecting the battery)?

Old 04-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bryan:

I too have an '03 disco that I hope to tow behind my MH. I haven't done it yet, put am learning the best and safest way to do this.

First, I hope to purchase one of these units. Someone on this forum stated that the 10amp isn't strong enough to supply power to the Landy's battery to keep it charged. Still trying to figure that out. Anyhow, not sure if you have looked into this unit.

http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html

Next, I hope to tap the Disco's lighting system with these two units.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9439C.cfm
http://www.etrailer.com/Tow-Bar-Wiring/Roadmaster/RM-154.html

I have also asked where the alarm switch is located, no one has posted a reply. If you find out, send me an email so I too can disable this alarm.

I'm following the owner's manual for towing to the T; keeping tranny in P.

What are you using for tow bar and brake system? Send me an email. I haven't purchased these items yet because I am still researching the different tow bars. I'll probably go with the RVibrake for the disco.

Rob

Old 04-23-2013, 12:47 PM
Rock Crawling

Rob, I use the NSA ready brute elite tow bar and braking system. I used it on my jeep, and it was awesome. It's a tow bar with an integrated surge brake that uses a cable to actuate the toad brakes. Very simple and effective.

For a base plate, I bought the Blue Ox plate for discos. I tried to install it over the weekend, but they shipped incorrectly sized bolts and the hardware store was closed. I should get it finished up this week. For lights, I'm using Blue Ox's supplemental system. You add new bulbs inside the tail light housing instead of splicing the factory system and using diodes.

Quick Reply: Flat Towing '03 Behind a Motorhome