Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex-A-Lite 180, Motorad 180 Thermostat, Evans Waterless Coolant experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:24 PM
TReK
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by chubbs878
reading the specs on this fan:

* The most powerful single electric fans available
* Provide full radiator coverage for many vehicles
* One-piece, rugged nylon shroud
* Shrouded fans create 45-50 percent higher heat transfer than cage fans of same performance
* Rigid bracket mounting system, no through-core mounting
* High-torque, high-rpm electric motor
* Installation instructions with wiring diagrams in English, French, and Spanish
* Provide consistent cooling, regardless of engine rpm

one would assume that this unit would get the job done. do you have a photo of this as it was mounted in your LR? I'm trying to find something that will outperform the OEM radiator and Hayden HD fan/clutch. I doubt anything short of an aftermarket performance radiator will cool it any better. I know the factory cooling system falls short on mine because temps don't want to drop on the highway/driving at moderate speed. Its nearly 100 F in TX now, with heat index near 110. I have noticed this in regards to coolant temp.

Have you guys seen this?? unbelievably expensive.
Icebox Radiator by Congleton Service for Land Rover | eBay

I have it right in the middle of the radiator. It is only 21.5" wide and the radiator core is 26".

Old 06-24-2016, 12:37 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Alex_M
You can probably get the ford 3.8l fan with the money you get back from the flex-a-lite and still have money left over if you wanted to stay electric. Hope I haven't already posted that in this thread, sorry if I did.
I noticed on your mods that you did an A/C delete. Did you have success with this fan with the A/C on in hot temperatures?

Old 06-24-2016, 12:54 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

What very little I used the AC, and I mean very little, it did perfectly. Stuck right at the same temps as without.

More impressive are my towing temps. Towing 7000lbs+ on Appalachian Mountain back roads I never saw an increase of more than 6 degrees, and that was in 85-90 degree weather.

Old 06-24-2016, 01:03 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Alex_M
What very little I used the AC, and I mean very little, it did perfectly. Stuck right at the same temps as without.

More impressive are my towing temps. Towing 7000lbs+ on Appalachian Mountain back roads I never saw an increase of more than 6 degrees, and that was in 85-90 degree weather.
Ok, I just don't want to mod again and have the same issue. There is a 3.8L Ford Taurus fan on Ebay that needs some cleaning up, but has been tested.

When you wired it up, was it complex because of the dual speed? Or if you hook up positive and negative does it go to high speed? I'd like to test it with my current set up.

Old 06-24-2016, 05:34 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 943 Likes on 634 Posts

Perfectly understandable. When I hooked mine up it went straight to high speed. There are two positives and one negative, but it seems to run exactly the same if they're both plugged in as it does with only one. I believe that ford used a separate controller for the low speed.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:41 AM
TReK

I am able to return the flex-a-lite to amazon which I am relieved about. I found a Taurus Fan off a 3.8L online for $55 shipped. I figure I might as well try it as long as the wiring is in.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 PM
TReK

I just got the Taurus 3.8l fan. It is a 16" fan, the shroud is essentially 20" wide, tabs make it wider. I will update with results.

Old 07-05-2016, 08:58 PM
TReK

I just got back from test driving with the Taurus fan and unfortunately same result. It seemed to kick more air than the Flex-A-Lite, but still inadequate with the A/C on.

The A/C Condenser really gives off a ton of heat. I don't think it is an abnormal amount, and it does not seem clogged either.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:16 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

My temps go up big time with AC on. From 188ish to 199 in normal conditions. 201-210 when crawling through the desert. I guess it's because both are exchanging heat and the condenser is basically baking the radiator. Heating up all the incoming air. Reducing the radiators ability to exchange heat. In my case introduce 110 degree dry air (that doesn't cool down when it moves)..it's a challenge to keep this thing cool. I'm amazed my temps drop 10+ degrees almost instantly when I switch off the AC.

It sucks the big fan didn't work for you. I'd love to find a remedy to the plagued cooling system. Something that almost worked too well. I constantly consider going with Alex's set up but I cannot stand a non factory look/function. I don't like electric fans that much. But I'd do it if it was the holy grail of cooling. The struggle continues.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:07 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Shiftonthefly1
My temps go up big time with AC on. From 188ish to 199 in normal conditions. 201-210 when crawling through the desert. I guess it's because both are exchanging heat and the condenser is basically baking the radiator. Heating up all the incoming air. Reducing the radiators ability to exchange heat. In my case introduce 110 degree dry air (that doesn't cool down when it moves)..it's a challenge to keep this thing cool. I'm amazed my temps drop 10+ degrees almost instantly when I switch off the AC.

It sucks the big fan didn't work for you. I'd love to find a remedy to the plagued cooling system. Something that almost worked too well. I constantly consider going with Alex's set up but I cannot stand a non factory look/function. I don't like electric fans that much. But I'd do it if it was the holy grail of cooling. The struggle continues.
I am glad I tried it. The only other option I can think of is trying to squeeze in an LT1 or LS1 fan, but they are much larger. It could be possible, but the thermostat would not allow enough room. If I could get one at a junkyard maybe I could play with it, and trim it, but I am skeptical you can fit two decent sized electric fans in that space. I am going to keep the Taurus fan. Who knows, maybe I can fit two if I am creative some day. I would do the inline thermostat to create space.

For now I have to move on to more pressing issues.

For now I am sourcing an '02 fan, and will get a Duralast fan clutch at Autozone.

Quick Reply: Flex-A-Lite 180, Motorad 180 Thermostat, Evans Waterless Coolant experience