Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flex-a-lite Black Magic Fan results

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 11:25 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

I fixed a nipple with Jb weld, it held for over a year then I sold the car.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Overlanding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used JB weld on my Land Cruiser about 5 years ago as a temporary fix, I thought but it is still hanging in there.
JB weld is amazing sometimes, I repaired a fuel rail on my father in laws Volvo when the he was visiting us a few years ago with JB weld, took a few light layers to get the fuel to stop seeping through but it seemed to hold.
I told him if he smelled fuel on the way home to stop immediately and to get it to his mechanic as soon as he got home.
About 2 years later he was visiting again, out of curiosity I checked his car and he never replaced the fuel rail, JB weld was still holding!
I think this time I am going to try weld the nipple back on, I have been doing quite a bit of plastic work the last few years and am beginning to understand the stuff, will start a thread on it assuming it works
Rusty

Old 07-16-2015, 01:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts
Default glue

Not the same part, but I epoxied the nipple on the expansion tank. and then used JB weld to shore it up.
so far, so good.

Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 PM
Overlanding

Tried JB weld on the original nipple, didn't hold so tried plastic welding, no luck either.
The plastic is some sort of fiber enforced or something and wouldn't really melt and flow the way other plastics will, if I had taken the radiator out I might have had the ability to play make it work but if I am going to go to the trouble of taking the radiator out I would buy a new one, actually with the amount of time I spent on repairing it today I could have replaced it but at this point it is more of a challenge than anything, I can't let a little piece of plastic get the best of me!
Anyway, my final effort now is the threaded hose barb, I drilled a 1/2" hole in the radiator applied some JB weld to the threads and threaded the hose barb in, felt like a really good tight fit so I have a good feeling about this.
I am letting it dry overnight and will see if it holds in the morning.
Rusty

Old 07-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 967 Likes on 644 Posts

Since we're on the topic of electric fans here, I figured I'd throw in my 2¢. I installed 2 12" el-cheapo eBay fans today, set to turn on with the accessories until I get a chance in install a real controller.

Anyway, not great. Temps jumped to 212ish at one point while going slow because the aux fan kicked on right after my phone w/ OBD froze. U froze just a moment after and it said 210 and went back to 204 before I shut off the engine, but that was at idle.

Both at idle amd highway speeds it does great. It's just accelerating and slow speeds it seems to get a little warm.

I'll be upgrading to something else, probably pulled from a junk yard, because these aren't up to stuff. I'll report back on those when I get them installed also.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:18 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Alex_M
Since we're on the topic of electric fans here, I figured I'd throw in my 2¢. I installed 2 12" el-cheapo eBay fans today, set to turn on with the accessories until I get a chance in install a real controller.

Anyway, not great. Temps jumped to 212ish at one point while going slow because the aux fan kicked on right after my phone w/ OBD froze. U froze just a moment after and it said 210 and went back to 204 before I shut off the engine, but that was at idle.

Both at idle amd highway speeds it does great. It's just accelerating and slow speeds it seems to get a little warm.

I'll be upgrading to something else, probably pulled from a junk yard, because these aren't up to stuff. I'll report back on those when I get them installed also.
I wish you posted this a few days ago - I also just bought some ebay fans.

Which ones did you get?

Old 07-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
I wish you posted this a few days ago - I also just bought some ebay fans.

Which ones did you get?
Two of the cheap straight blade 12 inch ones. I had to drive it again today with a 16" trailer pulling a lawn mower. It actually did great at highway speeds, but once I was under 40Mph it would pretty much sit at 210 with swings to 212-213.

I wish I had atleast ordered the S-blade style, which it appears you have to flip the blade over to make it a puller, and tried those, though who knows if it would have actually helped much.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:19 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

The reason I asked which fans you got is not all fans pull the same amount of air. The fans I bought pull 1730 cfm per fan, which should be enough from everything I've read. But I did see several that pulled less air in the same price range.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:29 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by dr. mordo
The reason I asked which fans you got is not all fans pull the same amount of air. The fans I bought pull 1730 cfm per fan, which should be enough from everything I've read. But I did see several that pulled less air in the same price range.
The ones I got were RATED in that ballpark, but there's no way they're actually pulling that. It's been a few months since I ordered them, so I don't exactly remember. I think I'm gonna try a fan off of a 95ish Ford Taurus, those seem to be able to pull 4500 cfm on high which should be plenty.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:24 PM
Overlanding

Got the nipple repaired with a ****** hose fitting, drill 1/2" hole where the old nipple was and the threaded fitting threads in nice and tight, applied JB weld to the threads, let it dry overnight and it has held for a couple days now, will see how long it lasts.
Now that I have a full radiator it seems to be working pretty good, outside temperatures are near 100º in Texas now, while driving around town the temperature stays right around 195º, occasionally drops below 195º but only for a second or two, usually around 197º. Sat at a drive thru again today, 97º outside, engine temp went up to 203º after about 10 minutes sitting but that was it, immediately dropped back down to around 197º again once I got moving.
I will order the 185º thermostat and see what happens.
As far as the dual 12" fans from ebay, I am guessing the total cfm is only 1,750, not per fan.
The Flex a Lite dual 12" which sells for $400 only pulls 2,500 total cfm, I can't imagine the cheap ebay set up would be nearly 1,000 cfm more.
After checking their website I realize I have the Black Magic Extreme which is rated at 3,300 cfm
I also have the the auxiliary A/C fan still hooked up so when the A/C is on it is probably closer to 4,000 cfm, I think is most likely the minimum you would want.

Rusty

Quick Reply: Flex-a-lite Black Magic Fan results