Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flexplate Trainweck

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 11:00 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mounted torque converter depth

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
thanks tex, that'll be a big help.
Promised dims of the depth of the torque converter plate from the face of the bell housing.

Procedure:
Use straight edge against thickest part of the mounting plate of the torque converter and measure the distance between the straight edge and the face of the bell housing. Then add thickness of straight edge to measurement.

Measurement: 1.024"
Name:  IMG_1497_zpsa3f3e293.jpg
Views: 899
Size:  73.1 KB

Straight edge thickness: 0.029"
Name:  IMG_1498_zps1f8c73ac.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  82.9 KB

Total depth: 1.053" Plus or minus 0.010"

Old 07-21-2014, 11:40 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

http://ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/...flexplate.html

the second line in the description states: "These are prone to cracking and it's good practise to change it when changing the autobox."

Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks tex, very helpful. I appreciate you climbing over in there and doing that. So when you were putting your new one in did it turn and click in further two or three times? or just twice? Just wondering what to expect.. how many times I will have to turn and go in further? and did you fill the torque converter with fluid before you put it on? I guess I need to check that if I take it out.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my transmission and I can confirm you slide it on turn slowly until it drops in quite a bit and then a little further and it drops in a little more. At that point it becomes more difficult to turn I assume because it is now engaging the transmission oil pump.So three spline engagement points if you count the initial seating.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

The end of the torque convertor will click into the oil pump.

The slot on the converter will clunk into the pump/drive on the ZF and that's it

Torque Converter Discovery 2 II 03 04 | eBay

Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't taken mine out, yet. I need to, though. It's up for grabs if someone wants one. I still need to remove my driveshafts, transmission, and transfer case. Then I get to put all the good stuff back in! I like assembly. You get to use clean nuts and bolts, no rust, and pretty, shiny, oily parts and slide it all back in together and it feels so clean and pretty when you're done. I only have 5 weeks left to finish my rebuild. I've got almost everything I need. biggest thing is now getting the t-case swapped for a cdl version and then also getting the crank/con rods for my 4.0 to 4.6 conversion. Then reassembly!

Hey, Drowssap, Ricketytick, groeder24, and jfall, thanks for putting up the info on how to seat the torque converter. That's been one issue I hadn't been able to find direction on and I had heard everyone talk about destroying the transmission because they didn't mate it correctly. Thanks!

Old 07-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by groeder24
I replaced my transmission and I can confirm you slide it on turn slowly until it drops in quite a bit and then a little further and it drops in a little more. At that point it becomes more difficult to turn I assume because it is now engaging the transmission oil pump.So three spline engagement points if you count the initial seating.
"At that point it becomes more difficult to turn I assume because it is now engaging the transmission oil pump"

That's scary to know since mine is sure not difficult to turn. It does have some resistance when turning, but not much. Hope that's not a sign the pump has problems? no side to side or up and down wobble though it seems to be a solid fit. (edit: I just went and checked and I can feel that it is turning the pump)

Last edited by RicketyTick; 07-21-2014 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RicketyTick
"At that point it becomes more difficult to turn I assume because it is now engaging the transmission oil pump"

That's scary to know since mine is sure not difficult to turn. It does have some resistance when turning, but not much. Hope that's not a sign the pump has problems? no side to side or up and down wobble though it seems to be a solid fit. (edit: I just went and checked and I can feel that it is turning the pump)
Sorry I should have been more clear. I just mean the resistance becomes notable when the pump engages.

Old 07-21-2014, 04:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by groeder24
Sorry I should have been more clear. I just mean the resistance becomes notable when the pump engages.
ok thanks, good deal!

thanks to everyone don't know what I would do without this forum.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:39 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Ok that makes sense.
So the slotted part goes in.
And then there is a spline in the torque converter too.
That makes sense as that part would attach to the internal
impellers of the torque converter.

The number of splines or connections from the splines from the ZF side would then determine the number of successful alignments and would cause the seating of the torque converter to go in progressive stages of alignments.

I can see why ricktytick is cautious.