Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

flooded disco

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:44 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: flooded disco

It's mistakes you learn ....

I bet you won't drive through water that deep again, til you atleast get a snorkel and seal off some electronics.

Driving through a puddle could throw water up onto your dist cap and make your motor stop running, let alone 3 ft of water.

Either of my trucks below, I would hesitate to drive through water 3 ft deep, because of blowing up my engine if the smallest amount of water made it up into the intake. These are my alternatives to Land Rover btw, i'm hoping to drive one day when gas drops below $1 a gallon, haha

Old 03-25-2008, 07:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thankyou guys for your help, i am just starting to lose my mind over this stuff. i'm on engine number two and now it might be trany number two. i pulled off the trany pan and there was water mixed in, but no metal shavings that would suggest any major mechanical failure in the transmission.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:53 PM
Rock Crawling

yeah i didn't have a choice i had to cross. none of this was by choice let me assure you.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I have driven my 2001 Montero about six times and my '97 Disco twice in water up to the hood, because the Montero has a sloped hood the water washed over it, 200 yards with both trks and no problems.
I am betting that you stopped while in the water, you cannot do that. Once you start a water crossing you are comitted and need to follow through. If you are not sure of how deep the water is or how solid the ground is you need to walk it.
If you are moving the water will not enter semi-sealed places like ECM's and fuse box's.
Stop, enter the water slowly and then slowly accelerate until you get a small bow wake, the bow wake push's the water away from the engine campartment. It creates a cavity under the trk and the bottom stays fairly dry, until you stop. Then it all comes rushing back, just like when you stop a fast moving boat.

Old 03-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm on engine number 2 right now (installing engine number 2)

I'd rather push my Rover than drive anything else ...

Old 03-25-2008, 08:38 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

ORIGINAL: khuds308

yeah i didn't have a choice i had to cross. none of this was by choice let me assure you.
Well, you could've either come back the way you came or waited for the water to go down. there are always other choices...it's a matter of weighing the consequences. [8D]

Seriously though, I feel for ya man!

Dave

Old 03-25-2008, 11:41 PM
Rock Crawling

ok i got some good stuff from my buddies code reader. P0705A-Trans Range sens mali P0743D-TCC circuit eletrical P0748- Pressure control solendoide p1660-MR ctrlled computer outpute ckt. I hope this is much better info on the problems than my previous descriptions.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

If it is an automatic, and it stalled while in reverse, then was towed out of the water, that won't hurt anything go you had no hydralic pressure inside the tranny. Now if he towed it all the way home, may have wooped some wear on it for sure.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling

yeah thanks for the info on that. i talked it over with my buddy and i reviewed a text book that i have no tranys and found out it wasn't a problem. how about these codes though is this just from water damage and it will dry out or do i need to look towards replacement of these?

Old 03-26-2008, 07:54 PM
Rock Crawling

wow i have looked everywere and can't even find any info on these codes. I really don't know what they are for. any ideas?

Quick Reply: flooded disco