Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flushing/Change Coolant

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 09:00 PM
TReK
Received 199 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Flushing/Change Coolant

Please advise, what is the best way to flush and change coolant? Any chemicals to clean up sludge? Thanks

Old 01-30-2016, 09:34 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Please advise, what is the best way to flush and change coolant? Any chemicals to clean up sludge? Thanks
I found a kit at Oreillys that is used to reverse flush. I'm excited about this, but personally won't get around to using it for a few months I guess. I think it's pretty cool but you just undo the bottom radiator hose, set up the kit and use tap water through a garden hose that screws on via adapter spliced into the top radiator hose or something like that. This valve spliced-in also doubles as a modified purge valve to release the air, which is a huge problem on the trucks for a lot of people. Do all the research that you can on that part. You should also install a brand new 180 degree thermostat housing made by Land Rover if you do not have one already. The tap water being reverse flushed should work fine but when refilling it use distilled water and green-type coolant. Also use an additive (quart) like Lucas Super Coolant to lower temps a further 5-10 degrees. I will vouch for it and the fact that the cheap aftermarket thermostats do not work as well as the OEM grey made by LR.
Take a good look under the hood before you do anything and order any fans, hoses, parts you need before you do this little project so that once you are done, you know it will be good to go for a few years and you won't have to worry about it again. If you haven't replaced anything yet, you will know what's up after spending all the time and money for this only to have the lower plastic assembly crack or bust and find yourself doing the whole process over 2 months later. Be thorough.

Last edited by chubbs878; 01-30-2016 at 09:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
LR03NJ (01-31-2016)
Old 02-02-2016, 11:46 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did mine Sunday and removed the top hose (goes from the bleed T to the thermostat. I let the old coolant drain into something so I could dispose of it and then ran the water hose into that hose until pretty clear. I then used a special clamp for shutting off the flow for the hose to the water pump from the thermostat and that got the rest and forced it thru the radiator. When I was done and pulled the waterpump and thermostat (both replaced) it really cleaned everything out as there was only water in the block. My cooling system was super clean as far as sludge or particulates though so I think its been done before me as well.