Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Light Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:18 PM
Winching
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fog Light Wiring

I bought a new bumper that came with fog lamps which I did not have previously. I noticed underneath the wiring to connect them is there. There is a button on my dash top left of cluster on steering wheel, but it feels like a dummy switch. Is there anything else I need other than that switch to get them to work? Thanks.

Old 07-31-2013, 02:41 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a similar situation with my 2003 which was the low end model with no lamps and when I upgraded to an ARB bumper it had the cutouts so I picked up a set of the OEM lights. All I did was connect the wires from the harness behind the bumper and they worked fine however it has been 5 years now and I can't remember if I had a dummy switch block in the dash and had to get the switch as well. My mind just does not remember that far back! Try pulling out the switch, does it have a lamp image on it? If it is a switch and wired up it should work.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandrew
I bought a new bumper that came with fog lamps which I did not have previously. I noticed underneath the wiring to connect them is there. There is a button on my dash top left of cluster on steering wheel, but it feels like a dummy switch. Is there anything else I need other than that switch to get them to work? Thanks.
Yes, all you will need is the switch. The pigtail is there for it behind the dash. It will only fit the switch it is designed for. You can pick them up off Ebay all the time or from a junkyard.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:24 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Yes, all you will need is the switch. The pigtail is there for it behind the dash. It will only fit the switch it is designed for. You can pick them up off Ebay all the time or from a junkyard.
Excellent. I took it apart and see exactly what you are talking about, found the switch on ebay. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2013, 11:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Make sure you get the 99-02 switch to color match the rest of the binnacle switches.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by Rover_Hokie
Make sure you get the 99-02 switch to color match the rest of the binnacle switches.
I noticed that, the 03-04 are black right? Found a dark Gray 99-02 for $18 shipped.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Also, sometimes the switch is different depending on where it goes... for example on my 2003, the rear fog light switch was on top, but when I got my front fog light switch, it went on top. Instead of buying a new rear fog light switch that would fit in the second down position, I just trimmed the plastic on the old switch so it would fit.

Also, you'll probably have to have the fog lights enabled in the BCU.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by jafir
Also, you'll probably have to have the fog lights enabled in the BCU.
Talk to me about this. I just installed the correct fog light switch and still no luck. The switch lights up just like the rear fog light so I know it has power, but when I press and engage nothing. The small led indicator does not light up on the switch and the lights do not come on. Is there anyway to test the BCU or how would one go about enabling the fog lights?

Last edited by caymandrew; 08-04-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

There is a relay required in the under hood fuse box too.

If you've got the switch, relay, and fuses and the lights don't come on, you'll have to get someone with a computer to reprogram the BCU to have the fog lights enabled.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Winching

Bummer, everything in place and no go, guess I'll need to get it reprogrammed.. None of the indy shops in my area have one. I need to get my key fob done as well. What are my options? Hawkeye?

Quick Reply: Fog Light Wiring