Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fried ECU? Can't find a thread with this problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 09:28 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fried ECU? Can't find a thread with this problem.

SO.... It's been raining a lot here in Ga and I noticed a couple of days ago that the area where the homelink would be was leaking water. Been working a lot so I haven't had time to look into it, figured it was no biggie. Had to drive it to work today, it was light rain all day. I hit a little trail with a little mud on the way home . Pulled it in the garage this evening and it started running very very rough the HDC warning light came on check engine(not blinking) and the tachometer didn't work. Parked and turned it off then tried to crank it back up. It acted like it was carbureted and cold. Had to feather the gas pedal to keep it running. I've done the three amigos fix and flushed and everything has worked great. It's pretty much undrivable. Ideas?

Old 11-28-2014, 12:36 AM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

There will be pending codes.

Pull the pending codes with an OBD-II scanner.

Even without a check engine light on there can be pending codes.

see
http://enginecodemaster.com

for understanding code implications on Land Rovers.

Old 11-30-2014, 07:16 PM
Drifting

Jfall, I hooked up my scanner and it will not link up. Just says error but works on other cars.

Old 11-30-2014, 08:01 PM
Baja
Received 721 Likes on 626 Posts

I was told by an Autologic tech that if the Autologic can't connect it means its a bad ECU(if it is the ECU I was trying to hook up to).

Old 12-01-2014, 07:03 AM
Drifting

That's what I'm afraid of. If that is indeed the case is this a good solution?
Land Rover Discovery II with Sai Matched Cluster and Computer Set ECU BCU ABS | eBay

Old 02-02-2015, 07:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by rchrd0413
That's what I'm afraid of. If that is indeed the case is this a good solution?
Land Rover Discovery II with Sai Matched Cluster and Computer Set ECU BCU ABS | eBay

BUMMP, Ideas anyone?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 110 Likes on 84 Posts

Diagnose, diagnose, diagnose.

Have seen only one ECU blown in my electronic life, because the battery was reversed. They are very sturdy and reliable.
Checking its connections and proper signals and voltages will mean a lot of skilled labor. That is why typically pseudo mechanics tell owners the ´computer is bad´ and after replaced with owner money, problem stays.
Best is to start with schematics and fuses, then borrow another and confirm.

It's been like 20 years now, they do not manufacture automobiles anymore. They make computers with wheels. Takes an electronics expert to diagnose.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:43 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Externet
Diagnose, diagnose, diagnose.

Have seen only one ECU blown in my electronic life, because the battery was reversed. They are very sturdy and reliable.
Checking its connections and proper signals and voltages will mean a lot of skilled labor. That is why typically pseudo mechanics tell owners the ´computer is bad´ and after replaced with owner money, problem stays.
Best is to start with schematics and fuses, then borrow another and confirm.

It's been like 20 years now, they do not manufacture automobiles anymore. They make computers with wheels. Takes an electronics expert to diagnose.
X1 I've never known an ECU to go phut yet, it's rarer than hens teeth. It's usually another error or operator mistake. Needs an auto computer whizz to diagnose in most cases not the usual grease monkey mechanics. Main agents even tell customers it's the ECU cos they don't understand what's wrong. Oh, I'm no electronics expert but methodical diagnosis is needed.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 97 Likes on 91 Posts

Fuse?

Old 03-11-2015, 07:42 PM
Drifting

So i bought an ecu and bcu like an idiot without looking back at this thread first. Pretty sure you are all correct. No change. I've checked all the grounds,not really sure where to go from here. I'm more of a grease monkey but i know my way around a multimeter and a BASIC understanding of electrical systems just not sure where to start with it. Any suggestions? Don't have the money to take it anywhere.

Last edited by rchrd0413; 03-11-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Fried ECU? Can't find a thread with this problem.