Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Axle Alignment Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 05:52 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Axle Alignment Question

I've been searching for info on shifts in the front axle and can't find any info. I've recently installed the MD Terrafirma lift and 265/65 r18's on a 1999 D2. Then new tires rub the front bumper on the drivers's side when turning and on full lock they barely touch the radius arm on the passenger side. I did some measuring to investigate before I addressed the bumper trimming. My bumper measurements are equal on both sides so I've concluded the front bumper has not been pushed in on one side. What I did determine by measuring from the outside of each tire to specific spots in the wheel well and shock mount is that the axle seems to be shifted about a 3/8" or less to the driver's side. The measurement from the outside of the driver's tire to wheel well is about 3/4" longer than the passenger side. This would explain the different rubbings on each side. Is this something to worry about? Can I fix this and center it? Oh, I also had my alignment checked and the toe was within the specs. Thanks.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

That is normal, with a lift. When ever you raise the truck, the front tire/wheel slips to the drivers side and allows it to hit the bumper. That is why they make adjustable pan hard rods, so after lifting the Disco, you can adjust the diff back to center with the new pan hard rod.
I am curious, when you get a chance, take a tape measure and measure the height of each front tire, when pointed straight and level, from the ground to the lip of the wheel well molding and let me know how high it stands.
Thanks

Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Drifting

Thanks. I'll take some measurements tomorrow as requested. Does this mean I need to get an adjustable panhard rod? I felt I had read plenty of posts and write-ups about my tire size and lift kit and most report no problems or rubbing. Is there a panhard rod that you recommend? I see lots for the D1, but for the D2 I've just seen this one made by ToddCo at Lucky8 - Lucky8 Llc. - Take the road less traveled...

Old 11-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Measurements from ground to the wheel well lip:

Driver's side - just shy of 36"
Passenger side - about 35 3/8"

Is the height difference on each also attributable to the lack of an adjustable panhard rod? I'm not liking the idea of the axle being off center and thinking I will get the adjustable panhard rod. Any recommendations for one for the DII? It looks like it would just bolt in, but does the axle shift when you remove it and make it challenging? Thanks

Old 11-02-2011, 01:52 PM
Drifting

Update on measurements. I went to a different spot and got different results.

Driver's side - 35 3/4"
Passenger side - 35 1/2"

Also, I did the same measurement from the shock mount to outside of the tire and they are about even now. So, I don't think an adjustable panhard rod is needed. I measured the wheel well openings at the bottom and they are both about 34", so I don't think the bumper has been pushed back. It appears that the driver's side tire is more forward in the wheel well than the passenger side. Is this adjustable? My alignment check after the tire install showed camber and toe in spec, with the castor out of speck. Showed caster spec as 3.0 to 4.5 and mine was 1.2 for the driver's side and 1.4 for passenger side. On a side note the change from 255/55 r18 sycnronize tires to 265/65 r18 BFG AT/KO's are a downgrade in on-road performance. Truck does not track as well and feels a little sloppy and less responsive. (I'm a little disappointed) I was running the old tires after the lift. I know the BFG AT's are not great tires, but thought I would try them as my choices were limited for the 18's.

Old 11-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Drifting

Pics of drivers and passenger side

Attached Thumbnails Front Axle Alignment Question-driverfront.jpg   Front Axle Alignment Question-passengerfront.jpg  
Old 11-02-2011, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I was wanting to look at all aspects of your lift while trying to respond with an answer.
As for the front, you can trim the front bumper, not my 1st. choice, or you can replace your pan hard rod.
Replacing it will not effect the front height of the 2 front tires, there is always a little difference and 2000 miles from now, if you were to re measure you will find the real height after the springs break in.
Why don't you send me your number and lets talk about the rear rubbing issue.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:37 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
I was wanting to look at all aspects of your lift while trying to respond with an answer.
As for the front, you can trim the front bumper, not my 1st. choice, or you can replace your pan hard rod.
Replacing it will not effect the front height of the 2 front tires, there is always a little difference and 2000 miles from now, if you were to re measure you will find the real height after the springs break in.
Why don't you send me your number and lets talk about the rear rubbing issue.
Thanks Mike. My rear is fine, no rubbing. The only rubbing I have is on the driver's side front bumper. And barely touching the radius arm at full lock on the passenger side. -Jay