Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Bumper Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

After I figured out how to get it installed properly (small tweaking with the bumper) I am extremely happy with my Terrafirma low profile winch bumper. It's got great clearance, skid plate for the washer bottle, and I didn't have to chop up my 03-04 grill to fit a Warn M8000 winch.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:44 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by Luckyjayb
Charlie,
is that the 03/04 bumper on an a 00-02 model so you could keep fog light? If so what mods did u have to do
Yes, and no mods are necessary except finding some 03 04 fog lights and the bottom of the grill has to be cut about an inch. It took about 10 minutes to do the grill, which was no big loss since I had already modified it with metal gutter material from Home Depot. I have a spare grill if I ever want to go back.

I tried very hard to find an aftermarket fog that would fit the bracket and hole but finally just gave up and got some used ones.

I just like the glass square headlights. Also, I have two sets of the new version but I'm a wimp about cutting metal on the truck to make them fit.

And I agree with ZG: the ARB is not good for real offroading because of the overhang, despite the facts that is has great space for a winch. But for deer and just shoving things out of the way (including Honda Civics) it is tops.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 12-29-2016 at 12:56 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:45 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by LR03NJ
Looked like Charlie used a later ARB model bumper and added the original fog lights. That looks nice. Did you add wheel spacers? Nice!
I have 50mm wheel spacers necessitated by me going a little too wide on the tires. Without the spacers it touched inside the fender. With spacers, it touches outside under just the right combination of turn and bump. Hobson's choice.

Last edited by Charlie_V; 12-29-2016 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:09 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have all been great to provide input. I ran a post on one for the LR Disco Facebook pages as well. A lot of great opinions and definitely some brand loyalty. Ultimately ARB and Tactical 4X4 were very popular here in the States with a couple recommendations from across the pond. A number of you engineer-types recommended custom fabrication :-)

Ultimately, given my feature list and thoughts about approach angles, I've decided to go with a Tactical 4X4 bumper. It is a pseudo-custom as they are taking one of their existing designs (with the A-Bar) and removing the cross bars that go across the headlights. They can get it to me in a couple of weeks. I'm drawn to the metal headlight guards and while I will do some off-roading, I do not expect it to be extreme, and I wanted the ability to take it on the road a couple days a week. Here is a picture of generally what I should expect.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:26 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

That's a good call, Tactical makes some good stuff, with a great approach angle. I went with a safari gard as soon as I could find one, which is mostly identical to the Tactical bumper, but not made anymore.

Old 12-29-2016, 08:17 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 112 Likes on 108 Posts

I like this one. Never really heard of the brand but looks like it might hold up to some nasty beating

Old 12-29-2016, 08:27 PM
Camel Trophy

I like that Tactical bumper. Actually, I like all of their stuff. I can't quibble with your choice at all. Best of luck with it.

Regardless of which bumper you get (I've put aftermarket bumpers on a few vehicles), the vehicle feels different in a good way when you get it on. A good feeling.

Great choice.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good grief! I'm so jealous just by looking at these threads!!!
I wish that I was over the "getting the Disco the be reliable" and use those funds to trick the truck...LOL
Love the pictures and options, please keep us posted of which bumper you get...and of course some pics of the bumper installed!!

Old 12-30-2016, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RawFaith
Good grief! I'm so jealous just by looking at these threads!!!
I wish that I was over the "getting the Disco the be reliable" and use those funds to trick the truck...LOL
Love the pictures and options, please keep us posted of which bumper you get...and of course some pics of the bumper installed!!
LOL. I know how you feel! With the burden of OCD constantly chattering in my ear, I tend to focus too heavily on perfection. I had to adopt a "progress, not perfection" mantra to live by, otherwise I would dwell on way too much! Fortunately I landed a one-owner Disco with low miles so, while I absolutely expect things to go wrong, I feel good about the baseline I have to work with. Just a few more weeks of major projects and we will have a good platform to play on.

I will definitely post pics. Looks for pics in my Build thread as well.

Have a Happy New Year everyone!

Old 12-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Terrafirma with an 03-04 Grill on a 99-02 works out great! Sorry for the large pic (will edit size later once I get home).

Quick Reply: Front Bumper Recommendations?