Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Diff question and Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 08:57 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Diff question and Thanks!

Hello Everyone,
I just got done with a complete 60,000 miles service on our 80,000 mile 2004 Disco. The driving experience is night and day over when we picked it up. It starts right up and is a lot quieter. The driving experience is smooth and predictable as well, so "Thank You" to everyone who started threads to help other out.

I still have one remaining issue that was not solved however. I replaced my front propeller shaft with a new unit with greasable joints and that put my mind at ease. However, I have been feeling a small gap, a clunk, in the drive-line when accelerating or braking sometimes, depends on speed and/or going up or down hills. When replacing the shaft I noticed the front differential has about 1/8 turn worth of play in it. The transfer case seems tighter at about 1/10th. I did get some very small filings and the oil seemed to be "silvery" so I know there is some wear, but there did not seem to be any chunks in the oil. Although quieter now it is still clunking. My question is either how long to expect the diff to live or is what I am feeling close to normal? Is there anything else I should test or look at?

Thanks,

mike

Old 10-07-2011, 03:45 PM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

If its what I think it is, its normal. Mine has clunked since new. Most noticeably when you let off the gas and then hit the gas again. After a while you adjust to it.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:17 PM
Mudding
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Mine too. I just replaced my shaft with a Tom Woods and it is still there, so I do not think it is shaft realted. It only happens once in a while and as stated, it is usually when you let off the gas and then hit the gas again. I think it is "normal".

Old 10-07-2011, 07:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Mine is the same as everyone else mentioned and I do grease the drive shaft every 5000 miles. I notice the clunk when decelerating, but I think driving style plays a role too. As mine does not do it much anymore. Only when quickly slowing down. I also feel a clunk when going into reverse. That is the play in the entire drive train. Seems to be less if the brake is used.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:01 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

x3 or 4 or more.

I have learned when to let off the gas and coast, and wait for the right engine RPM and gear change before applying the brakes to avoid the clunk. I still get an occasional clunk despite my best methods, and still an occasional clunk when shifting to reverse. I can easily replicate the clunk by letting off the gas, and reapplying.

I grease everything every oil change, and have rebuilt the front shaft. It has done this since I've owned it.

You might want to change the oil in whatever looked silvery in 20-30k miles to see how it looks then. I couldn't tell which fluid looked like that from the original post.

Last edited by lordmorpheus; 10-07-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone, puts my mind at ease on that. I must say I love this truck. Built like a tank, comfortable and has a very unique look. It is not like any other truck I have ever owned and I think over time I may actually want to get a second one, lol. This one is my wife's.

--Mike