Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front diff seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012 | 10:51 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
If you were a little mechanical, I would say go for it, but I get the feeling you are not at all handy when working on a vehicle, be better off finding a shop, not a dealer and have them replace the seal.
As for the t/case, can you take some pictures showing us where it is leaking? Also, have you checked the gear oil level to make sure you are not low?
Mike,
I am actually not that bad.
I changed the filter housing O-ring, changed transmission oil, opened up the SAI pump only to find out that the filter was looking brand new, installed a new steering wheel control, old one was broken, installed powersteering pump and all the hoses in my previous discovery and changed plugs on my SL500, which is truely not easy, you don't see any thing working blind.
I don't mind taking it to a mechanik, but I have to yet find a trustworthy one and if it is only once in a while.
The last one did not change the O-rings on Power steering box, even though I got the O-ring from the dealer and give it to him, I paid for rdiator flush and i am 99% sure he did not flush the fluid, since I still have the same F..ing orange fluid in there and they usually charge extra for DexCool, which he did not and I also have second thoughts about brake fluid flush, since there is no traces of any type of fluid being flushed there, because I just installed 4 new tires.
Aside rom that every time I took it to mechanik, I spent quite abit of time, in which I could have done it my self if things would have gone smoothly. $200 here and $200 there also adds up really quickly.
I think I could do the front axle seal, but i will not touch the transfer case, not enough space to work unless the car is on a lift.
Here are the pictures, please also look at the filter housing, could this be an indication of how gunked up my engine might be?
Regards

Attached Thumbnails Front diff seal replacement-fronaxleleak.jpg   Front diff seal replacement-leakingtransfercase.jpg   Front diff seal replacement-transfercaseleak.jpg   Front diff seal replacement-gunkyfilterhouse.jpg   Front diff seal replacement-filteradaptermount.jpg  

Old 02-07-2012 | 06:19 AM
Baja

on your cooling flush, one of the house brands Advanced or Autozone is orange also I forget which one.
The first time I started pouring it I almost Sh*t myself think it was Dexcool. I read the bottle like 5 times to make sure it wasnt dexcool.
So he may have changed it but used a cheaper store brand, hopfully thats the case and the guy just isnt a crook.

Old 02-07-2012 | 07:01 AM
Super Moderator

re: how gunked up engine could be

Yes. Infrequent oil change, running way too hot way too long, running oil not suited to the purpose (cheap $9.99 oil change oil), etc., all have their sludge and varnish buildup along with cheap gas, plugged up PCV vent system not letting vapors be burned off, etc. Previous owners must all be tightwads when it comes to maintenance, or they actually don't maintain, they repair after failure. Seafoam and other oil cleaners can help (BG 44, kersoscene, GUNK, ATF, etc.) - but with DIY be prepared to deal with blocked oil pickup if you are too aggressive.

Attached Thumbnails Front diff seal replacement-d1%2520reluctor%2520ring%2520oil%2520pan.jpg  
Old 02-07-2012 | 07:50 AM
Baja

hhalimi,

once you remove the drive shaft you will find a big *** nut inside of the flange, once the flange is removed you can replace the seal. I beleive the nut is a nylock that is crimple over so you may need a new one check the rave.
On your transfer case have you tried White shepard to see it that will seal it before you go pulling it apart, a lot of people on the site seem to have good luck with it on minor transfer case leaks.

Old 02-07-2012 | 09:26 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
Funny how the local Harbor Freight is always on the way to the mall or dinner out....
It's also weird how it totally jumps in front of you when you are driving past.

Old 02-07-2012 | 05:56 PM
|
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by drowssap
hhalimi,

once you remove the drive shaft you will find a big *** nut inside of the flange, once the flange is removed you can replace the seal. I beleive the nut is a nylock that is crimple over so you may need a new one check the rave.
On your transfer case have you tried White shepard to see it that will seal it before you go pulling it apart, a lot of people on the site seem to have good luck with it on minor transfer case leaks.
Thanks for the reply, Rave's manual says

Using
LRT-51-003 to restrain pinion flange,
remove bolt and washer securing pinion flange.

Remove pinion flange.
Using a suitable lever, remove pinion oil seal.
Take care to avoid damage to oil seal
recess.
Using
LRT-51-010 , fit pinion oil seal.

Fit pinion flange and securing bolt and washer.
Using
LRT- 51-003, restrain pinion flange and

tighten pinion flange bolt to 100 Nm (74 lbf.ft).

I don't know what that LRT-51-003 is?
The LRT-51-010 is probably the tool sold at HF for $20

I did put 1/3 of white shepared in transfer case when changing the oil, it did not stop the leak yet, maybe I should just wait a little longer and see.

Old 02-07-2012 | 06:11 PM
Baja

all you need is a piece of steel with two bolt that fit thru two of the bolt holes on the flange to keep it from turning when your backing the nut off.
I would not think it a problem if you using air or have the wheels on the ground.
If not make the handle long enough that it bottom out against part of the truck so you can use all you power to brake the pinion nut.

Old 02-07-2012 | 07:47 PM
|
Rock Crawling

all you need is a piece of steel with two bolt that fit thru two of the bolt holes on the flange to keep it from turning when your backing the nut off.
I would not think it a problem if you using air or have the wheels on the ground.
If not make the handle long enough that it bottom out against part of the truck so you can use all you power to brake the pinion nut.
Thanks for your help, I get it now, I thought I had to hold something inside from not turning.
The manual also calls for raising the front of the car and I have no idea why?

Old 02-08-2012 | 06:37 AM
Baja

the manual is written for dealers have you ever seen anyone at a dealer work on their back, i surprised it does say raise the vehicle to change the battery

Old 02-08-2012 | 11:04 AM
|
Rock Crawling

the manual is written for dealers have you ever seen anyone at a dealer work on their back, i surprised it does say raise the vehicle to change the battery
Nope

Quick Reply: Front diff seal replacement