Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front drive shaft installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

How fast you drove has nothing to do with it, how far does not either, it is the amount of turning that you do/did.
Whatever drivng you have already done is done, dont worry about it.
Worse case scenario is you shaved some life off of the t-case, so instead of it lasting 300,000 miles it only lasts 280,000.
Now if you drive with it locked on dry roads all day every day for months at a time, that is another story.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:09 AM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks again

We are back again in the land of wireless mobile modems.
Thanks again for this key info on the LR Discovery. We are checking the nuts and bolts 2x/day. Excuse my ignorance but should the CDL be rather visible when I am looking at the T-case?

As for posting photos of the roads we travel, I am sure that people may find them somewhat disappointing, especially after I looked at Disco Mike's photos. We did take photos from our last trip up on the main road towards Lake Turkana. Lots of rocks and very slow moving, 3 hours to travel 90 km. We will post when we get a faster way to upload the jpgs.

We really appreciate all of the help offered by Forum members. At some point, we will regale Forum members regarding our "SuperLocked" driver side door and the adventures of our older Range Rover which has just received almost $10K in overhaul treatment from the best safari outfitters in Nairobi.

We will post when we get a chance.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator
Received 104 Likes on 12 Posts

Find this and turn it in the direction of the red arrow and it will lock the transfer case....like Urban Panzer said,

"To drive with either shaft removed in 2WD you have to engage the CDL ( centre diff lock), otherwise you will go no where, to do this on your year / model you have to use a 10mm spanner and engage it manually on the transfer case."

It may be a different size nut. I think mine wasn't a 10mm but that was because the original nut was replaced with the one shown.

It may take rolling a couple feet forward or reverse to engage it and also when you disengage it.