Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front drive shafts when should they be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:41 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
Mike,

After reading this thread, I am concerned with mine. I called a local salvage yard that specializes in Foreign Autos and they have a front drive shaft for $45.
Why are you replacing yours? Is yours broken?

Is thyere a specific manufacturer or source you can reccommend for the parts?
Did you read the link I posted right after you asked for instructions/parts list? I'm guessing not, since it's all covered there.

You're new, but just to let you know, if you ask a specific question and get it answered, then ask the same question again, people will start to get annoyed.

Last edited by antichrist; 03-24-2010 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by antichrist
30,000 miles ago.
Seriously, some people have gone over 100k with no issues, some people haven't gotten 35k. You're gambling your gearbox.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=29302
Is that limited to DII's or are the DI's the same?

Old 03-26-2010, 06:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Is that limited to DII's or are the DI's the same?
Only D2's unless you have a D2 shaft in yours. Look for a double cardan joint. You should just have a u-joint on the front and one on the back of the shaft.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:31 PM
Cool

Originally Posted by antichrist
Why are you replacing yours? Is yours broken?

Did you read the link I posted right after you asked for instructions/parts list? I'm guessing not, since it's all covered there.

You're new, but just to let you know, if you ask a specific question and get it answered, then ask the same question again, people will start to get annoyed.
Yes I did Indeed read your reference. No mine is not broken, just had a concern over the sealed ujoints and any damage that might be caused if one failed at speed.

Sorry If I irritated anyone. Was thinking maybe somebody knew of one they would specifically reccommend if they had a good experience with a specific brand or any to avoid. Sorry about the confusion. Forgive the new guy.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Yes I did Indeed read your reference. No mine is not broken, just had a concern over the sealed ujoints and any damage that might be caused if one failed at speed.

Sorry If I irritated anyone. Was thinking maybe somebody knew of one they would specifically reccommend if they had a good experience with a specific brand or any to avoid. Sorry about the confusion. Forgive the new guy.
The u-joints on a DI do not fail like the double cardon on a DII.
You should get plenty of warning before you have any problems, like they will not take new grease or you get a vibration on the expressway.
If you are not sure then it is a good idea to replace them and with proper care they should last well over 100,000 miles.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:43 PM

Thanks for the reply, I have approx 110k on it now with no noise. I saw a new one was $1100, I can get a "good" salvage one for $45, figured it was worth that to have a spare for when needed. Got a starter from them for $35.

Figured a good spare is nice to have at those prices.

Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Team Owner

Not a bad idea to have a spare.
But you can pretty easily replace or have your u-joints replaced.
The price of that used driveshaft with 2 bad u-joints will buy you 2 brand new u-joints from AutoZone.

Always replace the u-joints on a used driveshaft.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:06 PM
Baja

I wouldn't use Autozone u-joints. They are made in China and really not much info on them.
I'd use any of the ones in the instructions. The pdf lists the Precision and Neapco/PDQ. I use the latter because they are cheaper if you get the PDQ brand at Advance Auto. Both are made in the US.
The html document is from the UK and GKN are easier to get there and are fine too.

Old 03-26-2010, 07:40 PM
Team Owner

The ones I bought Tom were Duralast but made by Neapco,I got 2 of each because that was what they had in stock same part number even, at least they were last year.
They may have changed since then.

So if my info is wrong I apologize.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Baja

To the best of my knowledge, Duralast have never been made by Neapco. I went in an Autozone just a few weeks after they switched to Duralast from PDQ (I could still find PDQ/Neapco u-joints in a few stores) a couple years ago and they were made in China. The do use the same part number however (1-0005), which is quite misleading, probably intentionally.

Quick Reply: Front drive shafts when should they be replaced?