Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Driveshaft Rebuild- Cost and Time

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Driveshaft Rebuild- Cost and Time

Here is a breakdown of the cost and time involved of the front prop shaft rebuild per instructions by Kevin Liu. The PDF file can be found at: http://www.box.net/shared/jbgsi67tnx

Neapco Universal Joints (PDQ) part # 1-0005 from Autozone- (3) $11.99 +tax
Neapco Center Ball Kit part # 7-0081NG from Autozone- (1) $29.99
Total cost of parts: $65.96

The instructions are very detailed and well written (Thanks Kevin). Using hand tools and working in my driveway, this job took me about 8 hours. It took so long because I first tried removing U-Joints with a large c-clamp. Do yourself a favor and borrow a u-joint tool from autozone or in my case, buy one from Harbour Frieght at $39.99. Even with the tool, the damaged u-joint proved too difficult to remove, so a trip down to my local shop and $15 got the job done. when assembling the Double-Cardon, I found it easier to slide the post into the center ball without installing the trunion cups on the transfer case output flange ( the instructions have the u-joint already installed on the flange before inserting into double-cardon, I found this practically impossible ). make sure the spring is in the flange side and be VERY CAREFULL not to knock any needle bearings out of the center-ball. Some say to install the u-joints so that the greasse fittings are all in a row for easier servicing. I was worried that this may throw my driveshaft out of balance, so I decided to stagger the fittings. KEEP the factory fitting from the front u-joint to grease the driveshaft itself, the hole is plugged with a small hex head screw. remove the screw, install the grease fitting, grease, and remove fitting. Re-install the plug.

I hope this helps to motivate some of you to crawl under your truck and DIY. I don't know what it would cost to have a shop/dealer do this, but my guess is at least 3-4 times what I paid. Good Luck.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 PM
Rock Crawling

Thaanks But that means EVERYONE I spoke with this week had no clue, they all made it sound like something that came from the transfercase!! and thats why the landrover dealer said he never replaced one before becouse they dont rebuild them!
AHHH I see great pics too it does go hand in hand!
Thanks Again BOYZZZZZzz

Old 02-24-2009, 11:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Thumbs up

Thanks SPIKE 555