Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Driveshaft Rebuild vs. Replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 05:37 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Driveshaft Rebuild vs. Replace

Hey guys,

I don't know much about this, so bear with me. I've been searching the threads and the sticky's on what to do with this, but just wanted to get some things cleared up. I've got a Discovery II with right at 70K miles that I got in August, and want to get this driveshaft issue resolved before throwing any tires or other mods on it. I just talked to a local LR shop (not a dealership) that said I need to just replace the DS rather than rebuild it, and they would do it for about $425 installed. From what I've seen on here, you can rebuild it with a just a double cardon U-joint for much cheaper? Just wanted to get yall's opinions on what I should do and any other info. Thanks!

Old 12-18-2012, 05:57 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Just took mine off 2 days ago in attempt to rebuild and save a few dollars, found damage in the double cardan that was beyond repair...long story short.
U joints(3) centering Ball Joint(1) and have it balanced s your basic plan of attack.
I used a U press from auto parts store and it came apart fairly easily...(not without the cursing and swearing) center ball joint a pain and had to rotozip cut out because they did not have a puller for me to use.
Bottom line.... I locked my Differential and driving the truck as a 2 wheel drive until I get brand new shaft from LR2001Silver for $300 delivered. Will post more when it arrives... {BTW LR2001Silver... put some nice pics up!}
The places in Denver that would rebuild the shaft, needed the shaft off and delivered to them at the cost of about $225. Depends on where you are I guess.
If you want to do it yourself, use this forum and get dirty. I ruined a pair of jeans and a hoody and spent most of a Sunday!!
With decent parts and the cost of balancing should run you about $120 or so if you wanted to tackle it.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM
4wd Low

Awesome, thanks for the info. Look forward to hearing more when you get the DS in.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by PigSooieRover870
Awesome, thanks for the info. Look forward to hearing more when you get the DS in.
Just call lr2001silver and get a new shaft from him. Trust me, wont be dissappointed. Don't bother wasting your time fussing w/ the rebuild- unless you're an machinist.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:15 PM
Rock Crawling

Coors...
That is my opinion too after tackling it, but some people make it look easy and most importantly have the tools.
I look at this way,
Paying myself $75/hour for removing the shaft, locating the tools, dismantling the shaft, putting it all back together, plus the cost of joints and balancing it would of cost me about $900!!!! lol.
So $300 for the new one was a steal!!! Plug and play! Plus peace of mind is priceless.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:19 PM
4wd Low

Alright will do. Will I need to replace anything else along with the DS to prevent transmission trouble later on or is this all that's needed?

Old 12-18-2012, 06:26 PM
Rock Crawling

I have it on my list of things to do...and some good posts and knowledgeable people here when it comes to changing the transmission fluid.
I have had my 01 since 63000 miles and now 124000 and never did it yet.
researching it now.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PigSooieRover870
Alright will do. Will I need to replace anything else along with the DS to prevent transmission trouble later on or is this all that's needed?

You will want to replace the 8 ny-lock nuts that hold the drive shaft on. Ny-lock nuts are designed to be a 1 time use.

I send those with my drive shaft!

Old 12-18-2012, 08:01 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lr2001s product is solid. It's made much better than the facory ones. Better parts. Swapping them is a really straightforward job as long as you have the correct wrench, another one to double up, and know which way is tight and which way is loose.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Three Wheeling

If I ever get my Disco, I too will be going to LRSilver for the DS.. A quick question, buying that item myself, what would a reasonable cost be at a LR / Indy shop to slap that bad boy on?

Quick Reply: Front Driveshaft Rebuild vs. Replace