Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front-Left ABS Connector Fix

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2020, 07:07 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 894 Likes on 645 Posts
Default Front-Left ABS Connector Fix

The driver’s side ABS connector is difficult to reach because the master cylinder and brake lines are in the way. After months and months of trying alternatives to address a front left sensor intermittent signal fault, I finally bit the bullet and replaced the connector.

It’s well-known that in many (most?) cases a wheel speed sensor (WSS) fault is caused by a failed sensor-to-harness connector that can be cut out and the wires spliced. That’s understood to be why Land Rover went to selling WSSs with loooong leads that could be routed all the way to the SLABS box with no connector. But installing a sensor like that could be a drag because of the need to route it all the way to the SLABS.

I could have bought a new WSS and routed it to the SLABS, but being both lazy and a tightwad I instead figured out that I could separate the connector and pull the sensor end through the hole in the wheel well to have better access to the WSS end of the wiring. And for better access and some working length to the harness-side connector I used a razor knife to cut open the harness wrap, but once I got that started the 20+ year-old fabric harness wrap gave way easily and I was able to get ample working length with little effort.

I installed HIFROM Superseal connectors, male and female, to the sensor and harness side wiring, respectively. A current Amazon listing for the connectors and crimping tool is linked below, but there are good alternatives available from other sellers. They are crimped connectors, which work well and provide a water-resistant connection without soldering. They are what I used two years ago to replace a failed right rear WSS connector. Installing them correctly using the crimping tool can be difficult to figure out, but there are at least a few decent videos available online that show the correct methods.

I routed the WSS end back through the firewall, plugged the two halves of the connector together, and all has been well for a few days now.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BNFP79V/ref=dp_iou_view_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BNFP79V/ref=dp_iou_view_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The following 2 users liked this post by mln01:
Richard Gallant (12-01-2020), whowa004 (12-01-2020)
Old 11-30-2020, 09:51 PM
Mudding
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Thank you for this, just bought one. Having the same intermittent issues

Old 12-01-2020, 08:49 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 820 Likes on 538 Posts

great job and a perfect opportunity to lengthen the wires if you have lifted your vehicle!

Old 12-01-2020, 12:30 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by whowa004
great job and a perfect opportunity to lengthen the wires if you have lifted your vehicle!
Before I cut out and replaced the connector I wasn't certain there would be enough length to install the new connector, so I looked around for compatible wiring and found the shielded security cable linked below in case I needed to splice in some extra length.

Just like the WABCO ABS wires in a DII, it's stranded 18-2 AWG. It's also shielded, which is I think not relevant in the ABS application. The insulation is not as thick as the original, but I expect it would work well. I had a two-foot sample here a few days ago but I can't find it now. If I find it I'll post a pic, but the pic in the link below shows it pretty well..
FWIW, keninnc grabbed a length of WABCO cable for me from a P38 at a local boneyard. It too would have worked, but its insulation was thicker than the cable on my DII.

Last edited by mln01; 12-01-2020 at 01:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
whowa004 (12-02-2020)
Old 12-01-2020, 08:36 PM
Winching
Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts

Just bought this kit. I can post my results if requested when it arrives next week

Old 12-02-2020, 06:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Be sure to watch some YouTube videos to learn how to use the crimper with the connectors. I sacrificed several of the metal parts of the connectors getting up my learning curve. Unfortunately I have not found that they can we bought separately, so I have several pieces of orphaned plastic lying around.

Please let me know if you have any questions. Feel free to send me a PM.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Winching
Received 133 Likes on 78 Posts

I forgot to update, I did purchase the kit and did purchase that shielded cable from Home Depot, I wired up my rear abs sensors and front left with that cable and those connectors. Left slack in the rear so it doesn’t stretch when it’s articulating. And those connectors are great but I did ruin 1 or two learning. I think cable was only .22 cents a foot so I wired all the abs for like 20$ my actual sensors that go in the hub were fine but I tapped into them about a foot in, all the way to the slabs

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (01-04-2021)