Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Prop Shaft parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 05:56 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by buick215
I hope it's on it's way to the mechanic on a flatbed. That drive shaft is a ticking time bomb. It is going to take out your tranny and/or transfer case any minute.
I know, and to think the last time I drove the beast was 70 miles an hour southbound from Seattle on Interstate 5...near death experience.

Fortunately, I carry AAA Premiere so I plopped it on a big old flatbed for a snug ride to the mechanics 60 miles away.

How long does it take for that kind of wear damage to take place? I can not believe the number of people who have been under that truck in the last 2 months and not noticed.

I got use to the disclaimer's of ignorance and pre-excuses from mechanics prior to them inspecting the SAAB, I guess it is the same way with the Rovers.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:02 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by longjon76
Nice to have a fellow former Saaber here. I did the same and find the "quirks" from the Land Rover to be every bit as charming as Saab quirks.

Glad you have a new propshaft in your near future. I don't know what year and model of Saab you had but I bet I could find a parallel Saab part to describe how lucky you are that you did this before your shaft grenaded.
I had a 2000 9-3 with very low miles that was unfortunately totaled last year, damn shame that one...but, that's how I eventually ended up with the disco II and now I just want 10 of each!

Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by sloan74
Order a new shaft from Great Rover Basins or Tom Woods. It will cost you 300 dollars, then shipping.

Remove your old one and bolt the new one on. It's not too difficult. Only 8 bolts. If your not comfortable doing that, take the new shaft to the local Firestone and they will do it for you on one of their lifts. Should not take them longer than 30 minutes. The new shaft will come already balanced. So it's plug and play.
Thanks, Sloan. That is good news, I'm glad it is not a complicated job to replace the shaft.

Fortunately, I have access to the services of a commercial big rig, 4x4 mechanic who moonlights and he's going to sort me out, should be done in the next day or so.