Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Prop shaft replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If I understand correctly, when you have the CDL locked, you are sending 50% of your power to the rear and 50% to the front. With the front propshaft out, I think yo now have 50% power. Does that sound right?

Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woah!

Ok picked up a 2001 discovery 2 yesterday and you now have me in a state of panic. I cant hear any angry birds chirping under there, but I have not listened. So I need to get under and see if there are grease nipples, at the front. if there are I am fine, if not I need help asap as I have 150000miles on her. I am in Ontario Canada so god knows where I would find anything as I have not had time to hook up with parts suppliers. It is now our only transportation so I am praying It has been done. Anybody have a pic of one that has been done beside one that has not. ty guys,

Old 02-08-2014, 08:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by gribur
Ok picked up a 2001 discovery 2 yesterday and you now have me in a state of panic. I cant hear any angry birds chirping under there, but I have not listened. So I need to get under and see if there are grease nipples, at the front. if there are I am fine, if not I need help asap as I have 150000miles on her. I am in Ontario Canada so god knows where I would find anything as I have not had time to hook up with parts suppliers. It is now our only transportation so I am praying It has been done. Anybody have a pic of one that has been done beside one that has not. ty guys,
These threads should answer your questions.

https://landroverforums.com/forum/ge...rebuild-29302/

https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ld-done-30781/

I can't find local parts either, and I'm not in the frozen north. I order parts most of the time from Rock Auto, ebay, or amazon. There are driveshafts on ebay, but also on aftermarket rover part sites. It'll be likely be $250ish for the shaft plus shipping. If I were you, I'd pay extra for faster shipping.

That said, since you have a 2001, you MIGHT have the CDL, which would allow you to pull the front shaft but still drive the truck.

Here's a page with lots of pics:
2003CDLInstall - LAND ROVER CLUB V.I.

If you have the 'nipple' in the second picture, it won't have that fitting bolted to it. So you have crawl under the truck and feel around the top of the transfer case to find it (or not). If you have it, just pull the front shaft and afterward turn the nipple with a 10mm(?) wrench and it'll engage the CDL. You can then drive without a front shaft. You don't want to drive on the street with both shafts and the CDL on, but with one shaft you'll be fine.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:05 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On buying new nylocs for the bolts. Will any old work, as in buy them at Lowe's? Or is there a difference in the nylocs with the heat and all up under there?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

you are good with any new, as long as they are the right size. I have trouble finding correct thread at lowes. I bought a bulk pack from fastenal

Old 02-10-2014, 01:35 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got it. We have a Fastenal in town, I'll hit them up.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Default Cdl

Ok going to look under LR again tomorrow to see if it has the CDL. Now if it has it how do I tell if it is locked or not, which wat should it be turned? I just bought it so I have no clue as to what has or has not been done in the past so for all I know it may be turned off so I am not driving in AWD. ty for the help.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

It's probably not locked. These vehicles are permanent 4WD and locking the center diff only distributes power equally between front and rear axles.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Three Wheeling

ok, This is our first 4 wheel drive, so what are the percentages when it is not locked going to each axle? also what sort of special occasion would I crawl under and turn it to locked?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:49 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

You don't need to lock it unless you're doing some serious offroading. I did tons of trails before I even had a CDL.

Percentages to wheel is based on which ever has the least grip! There's really no way to "know".

Quick Reply: Front Prop shaft replacement