Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front springs with winch

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 06:43 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front springs with winch

Hi everyone,
I have decided to add an arb safarri front bumper and a winch to my 03 disco. I know from reading other posts that I will need to upgrade the front springs, but what about the rears? Should I upgrade those also? What springs should I go with? I do not want to lift it but I don't want it to sag either. Also, can anyone recommend a vendor on the east coast. I'm in South Carolina. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:56 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

What sort of wheeling will you be doing, are you looking H.D or slightly H.D.?

Old 04-25-2012, 07:11 AM
Rock Crawling

I just like to go out on the trails now and then. I also do some light trail riding in the mountains in dirt and rocks. I just want the winch so I can get off the road by myself or with the kids and not have to worry so much about getting stranded. I have a winch on my 4 wheeler and it has saved me many times. Most of my driving is on road. I like the way it rides now both on and off road. I just don't want to lose the ride when I add the winch.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Land Rover did make some HD springs for use with the XD9000i winch kits they sold, part number of the coils is REB000490, but I'm not sure if it would be enough for the added weight of the bumper too. And they are probably about $100 each, so it might be cheaper to get some OME or terrafirma springs. Even stock springs will probably lift your disco a bit if what you have on there is sagging due to time and miles.

Old 04-25-2012, 11:48 AM
Mudding
Default How much weight is too much weight??

I just added a bumper to mine and am wondering how much is too much weight before I should look at new HD springs? I'm not doing a winch just the bumper

Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM
Rock Crawling

I looked at the OME springs. They look pretty nice and many on the forum like them. According to their add, they lift it about an inch which would be fine. I just want to still be able to fit in the house garage. They have two springs. will either support the winch or do I need the heaviest duty ones?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If a bumper and or winch is added to a Disco, you must always replace the shocks and coils cause once you clear 50,000 miles they are shot and your truck is already a good inch or more lower then when new.
If you plan on keeping your Disco buy the OME lift kit and never look back. If you are not into spending much money then buy a T.F or other cheaper lift kit and hope it holds up over the next few years.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TF HD kit is fine for medium offroad with having bumper & winch on it.

I do like the sping rates of the TF HD kit, but I needed to upgrade my dampers for more aggressive off road combined with heavier loads. I just dropped a grand on Fox shocks with adjustable compression/rebound on the resivoirs. hopefully this will end my damper issues.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

You do not have to put new springs on your truck.
My truck is 15 years old, it has 213,000 miles on it and the ORIGINAL springs, I also have a ARB winch bumper which weighs in over 100lbs.
My truck still sits level.
And only sits 1" lower than it did from the factory (according to the height sticker on the drivers sun visor)
There are spring kits out there that offer medium (all you need) and heavy duty springs with no lift.
Look on e-bay, they sell lots of those type of springs in the UK and they will ship to the US.
You can find 1" lift springs here in the US but you will be hard pressed to find no lift springs here.
And just to help clarify a common myth, the "type" of spring (medium/heavy duty) has NOTHING to do with the type of wheeling you do.
The type of spring is all about the amount of WEIGHT you will carry NOT the type of offroading you are doing.

Last edited by Spike555; 04-26-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Lol...

Originally Posted by Spike555
You do not have to put new springs on your truck.
My truck is 15 years old, it has 213,000 miles on it and the ORIGINAL springs, I also have a ARB winch bumper which weighs in over 100lbs.
My truck still sits level.
And only sits 1" lower than it did from the factory (according to the height sticker on the drivers sun visor)
There are spring kits out there that offer medium (all you need) and heavy duty springs with no lift.
Look on e-bay, they sell lots of those type of springs in the UK and they will ship to the US.
You can find 1" lift springs here in the US but you will be hard pressed to find no lift springs here.
And just to help clarify a common myth, the "type" of spring (medium/heavy duty) has NOTHING to do with the type of wheeling you do.
The type of spring is all about the amount of WEIGHT you will carry NOT the type of offroading you are doing.
I love it when your angry!.... LOL

Quick Reply: front springs with winch