Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front springs with winch

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:34 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by vandev
I love it when your angry!.... LOL
You know me, always stirring the pot!!

Terrafirma Suspension - Coil Springs Accessories for Land Rover Vehicles

Old 04-26-2012, 08:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Yea....

Originally Posted by Spike555
"Chef Spike".... Dont F$ck with the Chef...

Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by vandev
"Chef Spike".... Dont F$ck with the Chef...
My wife does complain that I never stay out of the kitchen.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Al that being said, if you don't replace the front springs your already low riding Disco will sit a good inch plus lower and ride like crap off road.
With the exception of Spike, in all the Rover clubs I have been in and are currently in, no one runs stock springs with a bumper and winch.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all of the info. My bumper and winch will be here on Wednesday. I think I am going to put a set of stock D2 rear springs on the front to keep it from losing any height and see what it looks like. Then I can level out the rear if need be with some heavier duty springs. I figure it will either remain at stock height or be slightly lifted. I will post back with pics and the results of changing out the springs in case anyone else is thinking of doing something similar. thanks again.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:26 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Yes you will need springs

I have an 03 that had the ARB and winch when I bought it with stock springs. It sagged bad. When I pulled up to a light I had to stop short, or bend over to see the signal. Last year I upgraded to TF 2" HD springs on front and back. Awesome easy fix. Right now I'm waiting in my replacement front springs since my front has started sagging again. I can say that the ride is phenomenally better with the TF's than stock.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:33 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
Thank you for all of the info. My bumper and winch will be here on Wednesday. I think I am going to put a set of stock D2 rear springs on the front to keep it from losing any height and see what it looks like. Then I can level out the rear if need be with some heavier duty springs. I figure it will either remain at stock height or be slightly lifted. I will post back with pics and the results of changing out the springs in case anyone else is thinking of doing something similar. thanks again.
Why would you put a set of rear coils in the front of your D2, do even have a clue about lifts, coils and load ratings. doesn't sound like it. Besides the fact they are warn out they will not perform like you want when you install the winch and bumper.
The least you can get away with would be a set of 779 H.D. OME coils and even they are a little light is you plan on some heavy wheeling.

Old 04-28-2012, 08:35 PM
Rock Crawling

I don't know much about spring or load ratings, but I just figured That some heavier springs like the rears on a d2 would keep the front end from sagging under the extra weight. I know there are two inch lifts out there, I just don't want one. Are the OMEsprings that you are recomending for stock height or aretheygoing to lift the front end? I just want the vehicle to sit at stock height like it is now but with a new bumper and winch.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wilson96rr
I don't know much about spring or load ratings, but I just figured That some heavier springs like the rears on a d2 would keep the front end from sagging under the extra weight. I know there are two inch lifts out there, I just don't want one. Are the OMEsprings that you are recomending for stock height or aretheygoing to lift the front end? I just want the vehicle to sit at stock height like it is now but with a new bumper and winch.
Read this.
Terrafirma Suspension - Coil Springs Accessories for Land Rover Vehicles
Spring's are rated in 2 ways, by load capacity and lift amount.
They come in 4 load ratings, light load, (OEM), medium load, heavy load and extra heavy load.
That has NOTHING to do with the type of wheeling you do, none, nadda, it is about the amount of load you will be carrying.
Springs come in many heights, stock, 1" lift, 2" lift, 3" and more.
I, like you, do not want a lift.
Our options are limited, there are spring kits in England that do not offer a lift.
Here is about the best you are going to find in the US without much lift.
Performance Shock & Spring Kit - Super Gaz - Front & Rear - Medium Duty - 1" Lift - Land Rover kits from Atlantic British
Look on e-bay, lots of options.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Some Land Rover coils that claim to give no lift:
Land Rover Discovery Genuine OEM Factory Heavy Duty Front Coil Springs

good info here:
http://www.discopedia.info/index.php?title=D2Coils

Last edited by jafir; 04-28-2012 at 10:56 PM.

Quick Reply: front springs with winch