Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front wheels spin only

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 01:16 PM
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front wheels spin only

I have an 02 D2 with 95k all stock even slick radials. I've had this truck since April 07 at 75k and about 78k I noticed the the transfer case whine getting louder(when you let off gas noise goes away). So I drained it then and it had just a little silver to it. I refilled with 85w 140 syn and noise was still the same and has since slowly gotten louder. Its now to where when you talk on the phone while driving the other person thinks you have loud tires.
Well the reason I write is that yesterday I was in the woods in it followed by my brother in his jeep. We were easily running through some mud holes and going up a few steep hills with off camber humps made in them as I have several times. Even up these hill with tires lifting off from the humps it still climed fine as usual in low range and even all four wheels spun in the mud. We were just about out of the woods when we came to a skinny road with a big muddy rut on the left and no right wheel rut. I went right cause rut was big and didnt want to get hungup well I slid in and made it backwords about 10ft then forward 10 then back and over the lip and out with the rear and then the Traction Control quit working and the rear wheels would not pull. I could put in gear with no gas and just front left spun as it had no footing. So I went from D-R a few times and still no rear. Then tryed high-low still nothing in rear. Well the jeep pulled me back a foot or so and it worked off and on coming out of the hole. We looked under it and found no sticks or anything to cause a linkage problem. So on the way out I spun in a few holes still in high and all four spun and TC worked. We then continued on and went down a slick clay coated road and it worked fine but every time it articulated the rear quit spinning but it also felt like it did it while on flat ground to. But putting it in low or high did not change anything.
Any suggestions on what would make the rear quit pulling and the TC to not work together? TC only quit when rear was not pulling!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Front wheels spin only

Are you sure you haven't blown the rear dif? Do you have any warning lights on your dash?
Start the truck, put it in drive with the e-brake on, then get out and look under the truck to see if the rear drive shaft is turning.
If it is, you blew a diff, if it isn't then it sounds like you got crossed on the trail and with slick tire can expect no more from your tuck.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 PM
7th Gear

I nor the guy riding inside heard breakage from anything. I assumed it was the flex joint or rear diff too. But they looked under at the shaft and said when I put in gear or gave it gas it just tryed to move. Also the parking break is opperated on the rear shaft so if I put iton my lift that method would not work. I drove it from there to town for a wash and back home about 25 miles and no noises!

What would make the T-case do this? Linkage? Sensor?

Old 12-22-2008, 02:41 PM
Administrator

PM me with your tele number and lets talk.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:28 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the e brake is mounted to the transfer case in case anyone wants to know, probable cause transfer case diff, but thats me. scott

Old 12-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Administrator

That noise you have been hearing and neglecting may have something to do with the rear drive. I would stop driving it and get a mechanic to check it out.
If a t/case is needed, I have a mechanic with an 04 t/case with only 34,000 miles on it.

Old 12-26-2008, 10:51 AM
7th Gear

Sorry, I've been away from the net for a few days. I had the noise checked out by a local mechanic and they just said the t-case was probablyworn out and I should have LR check it out. LR is 2.5hr away andwants 160 just to look at it and I've found used t-cases online for 300-400. So I figured whats the point in spending that, Ill just wait for it to get bad and replace is as i live in a small town and use it as my back up/toy. I hope to get it on the lift today to check it out and also see if i can get the rear to stop working.
You could PM me with the t-case cost and freight to Piedmont,Mo 63957 if you can get that info.

Thanks Guys!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Administrator

PM me with your tele number and we can talk.