Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Injector Reseal and Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 06:33 PM
Mudding
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

I've managed to put another 500 miles on the D2. First half was mostly freeways, averaging about 73mph. Went through some steep and long uphill sections for the last 40 or so miles requiring quite a bit of throttle to maintain speed. Filled up from that and achieved 13.94mpg. Return trip was closer to 65-70mph without the judicious throttle application. Got 15.66mpg. Seems to be about normal from what I got before all the work was done. I will say that the engine seems to run more evenly. Best heard at idle. No ticks, no uneven exhaust pulses.

Having the fuel injectors cleaned is not worth it if your goal is improved fuel economy. However, knowing how dirty my injectors were, it was worth the peace of mind.

Old 11-08-2021, 07:23 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just finished up my job. Going to put my word in for Scott at theinjectorshop.com, ordered all the parts Gripen recommended separately and came to just over $30, Scott emailed me the next day informing me there was a kit available for cheaper and refunded me the difference before I could tell him to keep it. Will definitely be going back to that site for my other vehicles.

Hardest part of the job was removing the filters but I got them out with a sheetrock screw in a vice, watch a video online about how to remove them and you'll get the idea, just don't screw in too far. With all the old stuff out I built myself a little test bench and used carb cleaner to blow out all the injectors until the spray looked good, put it all back together and I believe my truck runs heaps smoother.

As for the purpose of this thread which was fighting the lean codes, truck is now running with both banks, sensor 1 no activity. While I had the harnesses for the fuel injectors out I noticed they were inline with the front 02 sensors so I took the opportunity to inspect the wires and then wrap them in electrical tape considering the original shields were broken away. For whatever reason I decided to hook up the OBD scanner and noticed that when plugged in, the Bank 1 Sensor 1 was showing 1.14 volts and the Bank 1 Sensor 2 was showing .55 volts compared to both sensors on Bank 2 at 0.45 volts (where they should be when cold and engine off). I unplugged the front sensor and the voltage dropped to 0.45 and the rear sensor remained unchanged no matter plugged or unplugged. Plugged in an old sensor that I had from when I originally changed them and the voltage stayed at 0.45, and then returning to 1.14 when I replugged the currently fitting sensor. Never thought to check the voltages when the truck is just sitting cold but that seems to be the issue at this point, bought all 4 walker sensors just to get rid of the Bosch ones that it seems so many people are having issues with. Hopefully this is the final piece to the puzzle.

Not sure why previously to completing this repair Bank 2 was working fine and now I'm getting no activity on both, obviously the only common factor was that they were the only two that I touched but all I did was wrap them in electrical tape. Hopefully it turns out to just be ****ty Bosch sensors and I can start putting my money into gas and actually driving the damn thing. Love the truck though, will keep this updated and if anyone has any other suggestions

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Bertha:
Gripen (11-08-2021), whowa004 (11-09-2021)
Old 11-11-2021, 06:57 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

New Walker sensors are in from rock auto at under $40 a piece. Voltages are looking good and the lean conditions are gone. Gonna take it on the long drive to work tomorrow but combined with the fuel injector cleaning, truck feels great so far! Thanks for the help

The following 2 users liked this post by Old Bertha:
Gripen (11-11-2021), matt3502 (11-12-2021)