Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump, can you just replace the pump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 10:28 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many miles? If that pump hasnt been serviced or uncovered and inspected for a while you may have a mess .. Id get a new retain ring (AEL rings are metal) and pump seat seal....Change your fuel filter out while you at it..

Old 10-05-2009, 11:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Alright, I have been limping along with this early morning start issue for the last 6 months. The starting issues has become progressively worse. I have read and re-read the link use of the aftermarket pump from one of the auto parts houses. Does that method actually work. Has anyone used the pump mentioned with success. One of the threads listed someone whom had changed the pump but had flooding-like issue as a result. Do I lay out $60 at Autozone or $360 at Atlantic British? I just want it to work..... Thanks Phil

DI 1999 99k miles
DII 2001 76k miles

Old 10-05-2009, 12:56 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts
Old 10-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Does it matter if it is an Advanced Evap System or not for the AC Delco pump listed for the "pump" only replacement? Phil

Old 10-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Let me rephrase:

I have a 1999 Discovery I with the Advanced Evap. System. Short of replacing the entire fuel pump assembly, will the "pump" only method work? Has anyone done it on a 1999 DI with AEL? If so, is the pump the same on used on the other DIs, ie earlier model years or those without the AEL. Thanks Phil

Pump Assembly from AB $368, BP $450, Dealer, who knows.........pump only about $50. (I hope the pump only method will work)

Old 10-05-2009, 01:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know that on VW, Isuzu etc. a lot of times the housing etc. will have shorts in it, so replacing only the pump may not cure what ails you.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle

the pump is working, it just seems to be getting progressively weaker. The only time it give an issue if first thing in the morning. Once it starts up, all is fine. Phil

Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ljdiscovery
Does it matter if it is an Advanced Evap System or not for the AC Delco pump listed for the "pump" only replacement? Phil
That I don't know. I've never seen it mentioned that it matters, but that doesn't mean it doesn't.

Old 10-05-2009, 04:15 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi

Just buy a used one and you wont be guessing if it will work or not.

I do not know the answer either if the AC Delco pump will or will not work with a AEL system.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Question Fuel Pump, Fuel Pressure? What is the Issue? Test Results

I am still trying to figure the problem starting the 1999 Discovery I, first thing in the morning after it has sat all night. I tested the fuel pressure this morning. 0 with the key completely off. 10 lbs. at position 2 on the key, but the truck not running. 20 lbs after starting the truck. I removed the vacuum line from the pressure regulator to the intake, no change whatsoever in the pressure. Shut the truck off. waited a few minutes and did the test again. The second time the Position 2 pressure was about 12 lbs. Once started, it increased and sat at 20 lbs. I reved the engine and there was no change in the pressure, stayed at 20 lbsl. So, is that the correct pressure for the system to have? The pump seems to be working fine, the regulator is consistent (whether it is low or not I do not know). Again, once started the truck works great the balance of the day, it starts right up, really regardless of how long it has been sitting. I am in San Diego, nighttime low was 62 degrees, so it isn't like I am trying to start it in Montana or Alberta........Help, I fear that I may be wearing out my starter over a simple fix.

I am getting a 1179 code, checked every vacuum line I could find, tested them all with water spray and some with carb cleaner, cant' find any leaks. I did check the canister output line, the line to the engine was sucking and the small pump attached was working, the line in seemed like it wasn't drawing any vacuum at all. I am not really familiar with the canister issues so I don't know if that is any issue or not.

Thanks in advance. MIke, Spike? Anyone, what do you think, what to try next. Phil

1999 DI 99k miles
2001 DII 75k miles

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump, can you just replace the pump?