Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this disco worth checking out?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:06 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this disco worth checking out?

I talked to the guy he said it has zero rust he is the second owner talked to him about the head gasket as well he said he doesn't know if the previous owner did it it's not leaking oil at all and is a solid running vehicle. I might drive out and see it this weekend, but it's a bit of a drive and I would like to try and find ways to get him down in price(he's about 1k over what I really want to pay for this vehicle and this car in excellent condition in my area is at most 3900 4k). I know to check for basic stuff is there anything that I should really be concerned with when looking? Specifically how can i tell if the head gasket is going to blow or does it just go randomly?
any help would be appreciated.

https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/d/2004-land-rover-discovery/6340157671.html

Old 10-11-2017, 12:24 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

As a negotiating tactic, its an S model and does not have things like leather seats(they look like leather but are Vinyl), sunroofs, and foglights.

As a bonus- It does not have sunroofs that can leak, and it comes with the coveted 16" S wheels. But he probably does not know that is a bonus.

My advice is go there with the maximum amount of cash you are willing to spend, not a penny more. Go in with the attitude that you do not need the car. After gong over it and explaining its shortcomings, politely, make your cash offer. Not a penny more, do not waiver. He needs to sell more than you need to buy.

Read in the sticky section for things to look for when buying.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
As a negotiating tactic, its an S model and does not have things like leather seats(they look like leather but are Vinyl), sunroofs, and foglights.<br /><br />As a bonus- It does not have sunroofs that can leak, and it comes with the coveted 16" S wheels. But he probably does not know that is a bonus.<br /><br />My advice is go there with the maximum amount of cash you are willing to spend, not a penny more. Go in with the attitude that you do not need the car. After gong over it and explaining its shortcomings, politely, make your cash offer. Not a penny more, do not waiver. He needs to sell more than you need to buy.<br /><br />Read in the sticky section for things to look for when buying.
<br /><br />I have a ‘03 S. The fake leather is like MBTex, indestructible and brand new looking after 14+ years. For me that’s actually a big plus for the S, not a negative.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:19 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I would not be afraid to pay $5k for that truck over a $1k difference in what you "want" to pay if it is actually as good as advertised.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

And it's got a dent in the drivers door, negotiating power even more

Old 10-11-2017, 05:37 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
As a negotiating tactic, its an S model and does not have things like leather seats(they look like leather but are Vinyl), sunroofs, and foglights.

As a bonus- It does not have sunroofs that can leak, and it comes with the coveted 16" S wheels. But he probably does not know that is a bonus.

My advice is go there with the maximum amount of cash you are willing to spend, not a penny more. Go in with the attitude that you do not need the car. After gong over it and explaining its shortcomings, politely, make your cash offer. Not a penny more, do not waiver. He needs to sell more than you need to buy.

Read in the sticky section for things to look for when buying.
X1 .............. the salesman needs your cash more that you need his truck, think salesman's commission

Old 10-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Check the rear framerails, they are starting to rust.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

It's in Jersey, everything underneath is starting to rust.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Winching
Received 139 Likes on 106 Posts

A couple of things. It is going to have rust, it is in the Northeast. Staten Island sits in Saltwater.Check the carfax previous registration location. If it says Richmond County, NY then the car has spent its' whole life on SI.
The big thing is where was this car during Hurricane Sandy? The max altitude on SI is like 50 feet. And that altitude is at the peal if the old Freshkills land fill.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 137 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
It's in Jersey, everything underneath is starting to rust.
True true!

ours isn't that bad, we had wire brushed the frame and painted last year, I might sand some down and por-15.

Quick Reply: Is this disco worth checking out?