Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Temperature Sensor (among other things)

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Temperature Sensor (among other things)

On Saturday, with the help and knowledge of two gentlemen, an engine was installed into my 1995 Discovery. The engine was a low compression 3.9L V8 out of a 1990 Range Rover SWB. From first hands on the truck to the first flick of the key, was about 11 hours.

For simplicity's sake, I opted the stay with the v-belt setup, and I got rid of the air conditioning. Some wiring needed to be extended for the alternator and sensors, and some heater hoses needed to be modified. All in all, this engine swap was a rousing success.

Now, with that being said, there are some bugs to work out, chief among them being the clutch. One of the guys I was working with thinks he might know what the problem is with that. We're not sure the alternator is charging, and there is an exhaust leak at the manifold.

The the one issue I am not sure how I am going to correct has to do with the Fuel Temperature Sensor (or lack thereof on the Rangie engine).

First off, what is the Fuel Temp Sensor for?

Secondly, seeing as how the older engine in my newer truck does not have a fuel temp sensor, is there any way to get rid the the check engine light? Or am I just going to have to put up with it? Can I fool the ECM into thinking everything is fine?

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Aaron

Old 03-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

According to the "manual" ....the ECU uses the fuel temp to alter the injectors open time to aid in better hot starting.

assuming you used the old harness and the connector is there for the temp sender....you could try to just plug in the sender to the harness and tie it to the fuel rail...this obviously won't be a 100% correct reading but it may be close enough to shut off the light and hopefully avoid other issues. I would give this a try as this is a really checp fix......if it works. Good luck...let us know how things go

Old 03-01-2010, 09:30 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by XCELLER8
According to the "manual" ....the ECU uses the fuel temp to alter the injectors open time to aid in better hot starting.

assuming you used the old harness and the connector is there for the temp sender....you could try to just plug in the sender to the harness and tie it to the fuel rail...this obviously won't be a 100% correct reading but it may be close enough to shut off the light and hopefully avoid other issues. I would give this a try as this is a really checp fix......if it works. Good luck...let us know how things go
Well, the old fuel rail was gone, so I don't have the sender. I think I will just deal with it for now.

My friend says we just need to bleed the clutch, and he thinks the alternator is not any good.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

My fuel temp sensor is bad and the only problem I have is on a really hot day she may be hard to start, like getting off the expressway after cruising for 3 hours, getting gas and then trying to leave.
I may have to crank it 10 seconds instead of 5.
I am going to replace mine this spring, but thats what you are looking at.

Can you get a DI fuel rail? If so it should bolt right up to your engine and it will have the fuel temp sensor, or at least the spot for it.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle

I could probably procure one, but I am not going to mess with it at the moment.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:32 PM
Team Owner

I wouldnt either.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:11 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I was wrong about the Fuel Temp Sensor. The sensor is located on the other side of the fuel rail. The wiring just needs extended.

Tonight, I blew a brake line to the rear wheels pulling it out of my friends garage. So I am going to replace both of them. The regulator is bad in the alternator (it smelled like fireworks when it was idling) there are some bolts broke off when we tried to remove the exhaust manifold.

She's a piece of work...

Old 03-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Team Owner

Aaron, you could always just buy a used fuel temp sensor, plug it in and zip tie it somewhere out of the way.
That will shut off your CEL, you will save the $$ on a Disco fuel rail plus labor, and I honestly do not think you really need one with your donor engine since it never had one anyway.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Spike555
Aaron, you could always just buy a used fuel temp sensor, plug it in and zip tie it somewhere out of the way.
That will shut off your CEL, you will save the $$ on a Disco fuel rail plus labor, and I honestly do not think you really need one with your donor engine since it never had one anyway.
Actually I was wrong about the donor Range Rover motor not having a fuel temp sensor. The sensor is on the opposite side from where it is located on the Discovery. All we have to do is extend the wiring so we can plug it in.