Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuse box wire lugs

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 11:02 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuse box wire lugs

Hey everyone! Looking for assistance tracking down a particular part:

I'm getting all the pieces together for a wire replacement, as I'm starting to have issues with corrosion on my positive battery lead. I'm going to replace all four of the big cables while I'm at it.

+ Battery to starter
+ Battery to fuse box
+ Fuse box to alternator
- Battery to chassis ground

The thing I'm having trouble with is the lugs on the fuse box/PDC end of two cables. Flat, 90° flag style lugs. Does anyone know of a source for these? I've tried searching this forum and others for info about this lug, too no avail.

Is there a suitable alternative solution that people implement? Do I need to to pry off the old one and try to reuse it? I could just modify the fuse box to accept a more standard straight lug? Or can the fuse box be bypassed with an in-line fuse for the alternator? Or will I have to fabricate a new lug?

Old 09-12-2019, 03:31 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

I wouldn't reuse the terminals.
The size of the terminals will depend on what gauge/size of cable you plan on using... 8AWG (thick cable) to 0AWG (thickest cable)

Soon, I plan on doing the "Big 5" cable swap:
ANCOR Marine grade cable tinned copper strands Type 3 or TEMCo welding cable
1. 0AWG cable from battery + to alternator + (through fuse box connected to 150A fuse link)
2. 0AWG from battery + to starter +
3. 0AWG from battery - to alternator mount
4. 0AWG from battery - to chassis
5. 0AWG from chassis to engine
*6. 10AWG from firewall to coil pack mount (replace braided ground)

Last edited by JUKE179r; 09-12-2019 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2019, 11:52 AM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm hoping to do mine in 2/0, but I got some 1/0 cable as well, just in case. I've got standard lugs for every other connection

But I just can't find any info on the weird shaped lugs for the fuse box. I'm willing to look at another cable gauge if it helps find the lug that fits.

JUKE179r, do you have additional cables on your car, or am I missing something? I only see one negative cable, that runs from the battery to the chassis and engine ground. Do you have an additional negative cable that runs from your battery to the alternator?

I am likely going to make my negative battery cable in two pieces, to replace that mid-cable ground lug. And the coil pack ground is a good idea! I'll do that soon, when I replace my coil packs and plug wires.