Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

G4: Where are they?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 02:03 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Default G4: Where are they?

I'm tempted to hunt down a 2004 Discovery G4 Edition. Not sure but its on my mind alot. Seems there are alot of fake G4's out there though and my research on standard G4 features has concluded that some G4's have more features then others. Like I thought all G4 models were basically an S trim with no sun roofs, no premium sound, no fog lights etc. Also thought the true G4 came with badges and exterior decals as well as special G4 embroiled logo on the headrest of the front seats. But alas many of the G4 models Ive seen pics of on google do not have some of the above features of have the features not normally put on the S trim.

In any case how much do these vehicles sell for on average and any know ones for sale? Ebay has one listing for a orange no logo, no decal D2 they claim in a G4. No luck on local craigslist.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

There were some g4 SE and even HSE. I saw one on craigslist, and we had the dealer look up the VIN and they confirmed it was a g4 with HSE trim.

Here is an example of an HSE G4:

G4: Where are they?-main.jpg

G4: Where are they?-minor1.jpg

Last edited by jafir; 09-21-2013 at 09:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
In any case how much do these vehicles sell for on average and any know ones for sale? Ebay has one listing for a orange no logo, no decal D2 they claim in a G4. No luck on local craigslist.
Use www.SearchTempest.com to do Local and Wide Area Craigslist searches. It's my go-to search engine for Craigslist. Set your Zip Code, the Distance you are willing to travel, what you are looking for, and voila!

Old 09-21-2013, 10:02 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found one on Craigslist a while back a 2004 with 60k miles for 10k I still kick myself for not buying it. It showed up on CL again with some rear end damage a few weeks ago for 6k and I thought about it again. However in the end logic won out, it is really just an orange paint job and I already have a very nice '04 that I have started to build the way I want it so I had to pass.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:10 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mossmanxjt
However in the end logic won out, it is really just an orange paint job...
That's what I was wondering, what exactly is different?

Back in the day, BEFORE Jeep got involved, I used to make the stickers that went on the Jeep 'Rubicon' editions. It was my local dealer that put on the sticker and some larger tires and sold them as a Factory Option. $500 in tires, 2 $5 stickers, and they got $1500 bump in price! Jeep caught on and started to market them themselves, and of course added lift-kit, etc...

Is the G2 the same thing? A name added and price increase?

Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Mudding

Yes, even though it got a "Special Vehicles" tag it was just a paint job, some had some additional factory accessories like an A bar or roof rack but not all of them. There was no mechanical or structural difference in the G4, Kalahari, Trek Edition, Trail Edition etc. vehicles.

Many of them G4 included were built on the base S model so when you look up the VIN for financing or insurance they just see an S model and value the vehicle for significantly less than what the asking price usually is.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:49 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by mossmanxjt
Many of them G4 included were built on the base S model so when you look up the VIN for financing or insurance they just see an S model and value the vehicle for significantly less than what the asking price usually is.
But, what the price actually SHOULD be since it's just a couple letters added to the name.

The Jeep dealer used to laugh about all the extra money he made because of a simple name change and stickers.

After that, they started putting 'Sport' on the small economy cars and added a couple paint splash decals. Again, they'd charge about $1000 more just for a decal and a 'Sport' sticker with literally NO modifications to the vehicle.

I guess if people are silly enough to fall for it... I've got a 2003 Land Rover Discovery II for sale for only $15,000. It's the Special "D" model. Any takers?

Attached Thumbnails G4: Where are they?-land-rover-d.jpg  
Old 09-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Why not take what you have, mod it to the max, enjoy life, and put a chrome stick-on "T" on side panels. Or flaming orange stripe down the side. One of a kind, expedition equipped, and so on. Take seat covers to an embriodery shop that does logos and they can put what ever artwork you have into a pattern.

MPG won't change, possibility of overheat won't change, oil leaks won't change, because deep down under all the bling and mud it is still a Rover.

Old 09-21-2013, 03:58 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks like I made the error or confusing to different special editions.... I'm looking for the Trek edition. Expedition Portal has a great collection of pictures of one particular Trek edition D2. I like the paint job, the included winch and warn lights and I especially love the Trek stitching in the head rest of the front seats!

VFOTW: Land Rover Discovery TReK Edition

Old 09-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Mudding

It's pretty, but it's still just a regular DII. It has factory accessories fitted like the SD rack and winch mount. But other than that and the decals it is just a DII painted orange.

Quick Reply: G4: Where are they?