Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket not holding out!! JB Weld??

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 12:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gasket not holding out!! JB Weld??

I have been fighting this power steering pump gasket leak for a month or two.. I was told to use 1/64 gasket but could only find the 1/32 size at autozone. The 1/32 held out and sealed the leak, but power steering still wasn't working. It was very intermittent and would work briefly and randomly. So I finally ordered a 1/64 gasket and installed only to have it blow out on me twice in under 2 days each time. But this smaller gasket did have the best results in steering working.. I actually was almost perfect steering with the 1/64.

So should I go back to the 1/32 size or is that too big? Was it not working because of air bubbles? We tried bleeding the steering box but that didn't help.

I heard someone on the forums say use JB Weld! was he joking or would that seal it up for good??

And is there a certain way to bleed the steering box??

Old 12-18-2011, 12:54 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure on using JB weld as gasket. The only time mine leaked was when I was overhauling the engine and I had to remove the pump from the block and have it hanging off on the side. Noticed that it was leaking until I mounted it back on. Tighten the bolts and that was it! Not a drop since! Nice and dry!
But man......you got patience fixing this thing! I would of ordered the new one after first gasket failure!
I know this might sound like a stupid question but are you sure you got all the bolts tight as well as that nut that is just behing the pulley? Like I said....mine leaked between the gasket after I had to relocate it due to working on the engine and after I was done, I just remounted it and never changed the gasket! Like I said it never leaked again.