Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why does my alternator keep going bad? and cat converter weld?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:38 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why does my alternator keep going bad? and cat converter weld?

I replaced my alternator about a month ago with a remanone, now I am having symptoms of a bad alternator again. Basically the battery runs down very quickly, and the engine will start to stall and putt then die, until I recharge the battery. I tried cranking the vehicle then disconnecting the negative lead and the engine died, which I read is a good way to test the alternator. I have checked about three ground wires I could find connecting to the frame and cleaned them very well, same problem. I am now trying to put my old alternator (which worked barely, I could go about 4 hours driving before the abttery ran down and the car stopped) I am just wondering why the thing keeps going bad? I have a small amplifier on my stereo and have ehard this could be the problem, but it is only about 500 watts, and I know people with 2000 watt amps that have never ahd any troubles.

Also my Catalytic converter pipe looks like it had broken right where it meets the connector to the passenger side exhaust manifold. WOuld it be possible foran exhaust shop to weld that back together or am I gonna have to spend a fortune on a new catalytic converter?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts
Default RE: why does my alternator keep going bad? and cat converter weld?

You need to go have your charging system load tested, sounds like you just got a bad reman.
As for your Y pipe, you could probably have it welded and as long as you are not doing some HD wheeling you should be fine.
Mike