Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket replacement or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 09:25 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gasket replacement or not?

As some of you know I am replacing the motor in my 03. Question being the motor replacing with while its out should I go ahead and do gaskets? It ran fine but with just manifolds it was hard to tell if it was leaking. It looks very clean on both sides and I did run my hand on both sides and didnt feel gasket leak. I didnt get a clear answer from the guy, he said the motor had been replaced almost 80k miles ago. But it was his fiancee truck and she had drove it to newyork a month before drive shaft death. The heads look recent super clean bead blasted prob less than 30k because there not oil stained yet. My fear is getting swap done then hg issue but also so people saying there block/thread issues after a few hg jobs,is this only true if overheated? I like to go with preventitive maintenance while out but dont want to also fix it till its broke. Regardless it getting rear main and prob pan gasket. Thanks in advance.

Old 02-12-2015, 09:53 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Well the HG would be a lot easier with the engine out. Not as much as a pain in the arss then. I would replace every gasket I could while it was out. Front cover and check the timing belt and oil pump as well.

Old 02-12-2015, 10:43 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

I did oil pan, rear main, and valve cover gaskets when I installed my 80k used engine. I am at 140k now, and have had just a small seep from the passenger rear head gasket for about a year. I will probably do the heads this spring along with a new oil pump and chain kit due to mileage.

I got my used engine from a used engine distributor and it came with a warranty, so it was less a gamble for me.

Since you seem to have a lot more unknowns than I did, I would definitely check the timing chain and oil pump. Couple hundred bucks for head gasket set and machine work, and a lot easier while out. How many miles are on the vehicle? Just because he said the engine was replaced 80k ago doesn't necessitate fact.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:52 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

personally i would re-gasket and RTV it while it was out, replace the oil pump, timing chain and waterpump, hopefully you will not be going back in for another 70k miles

Last edited by drowssap; 02-13-2015 at 06:54 AM.
Old 02-13-2015, 11:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphobell
Well the HG would be a lot easier with the engine out. Not as much as a pain in the arss then. I would replace every gasket I could while it was out. Front cover and check the timing belt and oil pump as well.
I'd at least swap the oil pump and timing gears in addition to every gasket I could swap (to include HG).

Personally, I'd also swap the cam and lifters while it's out. These trucks are hard on their top end, so I wouldn't miss an opportunity for a easy refresh. Also, a few more horsies would be welcome.

Old 02-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I would do as much as possible with it out

Old 02-13-2015, 12:32 PM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

AND as for the block/thread issues, change over to the ARP studs/nuts while doing the head gaskets. The head bolts are a b***h to get loose with the engine installed. You have to use a 1/2" breaker bar and a 1" piece of 'cheater' pipe to break them loose and I think I actually fractured my thumb when I smashed it between the cheater and radiator support!

Old 02-13-2015, 03:20 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well called lucky 8 try to order gasket but says there out for training. Wanted try to get in mail before weekend but may not happen. I am going to look all over well but kinda in a time and money restrain. The truck will be motored with gm 6L by end of summer so I really only need about 8 months out of it. If I wasnt planning trip to florida I wouldnt even bother. I hate gambling though. Guess I will get it out and inspect everything. Good note cherry picker arrived today so hope to have out tommorow.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ST_Farms
Well called lucky 8 try to order gasket but says there out for training. Wanted try to get in mail before weekend but may not happen. I am going to look all over well but kinda in a time and money restrain. The truck will be motored with gm 6L by end of summer so I really only need about 8 months out of it. If I wasnt planning trip to florida I wouldnt even bother. I hate gambling though. Guess I will get it out and inspect everything. Good note cherry picker arrived today so hope to have out tommorow.
HaHaHa!!! Out for training....they are at Winter Romp!!! Out for training...that is funny. Those guys are great and they give back so much to the LR community. In April they will be in training in East Texas too.

Old 02-15-2015, 08:09 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

if you un-torque the heads in the opposite pattern that they are tightened they are not hard to get out, start from the outside and work your way in to the center

Last edited by drowssap; 02-15-2015 at 08:22 AM.

Quick Reply: Gasket replacement or not?