Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasket replacement or not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 10:25 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by dusty1
I would do as much as possible with it out
Full on engine rebuild baby. Strip to bare block and rebuild.

Old 02-15-2015, 05:42 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well going out tonight try to get it. Have neen held back by lack of time and motivation when have time. It is in a pole barn with no electric or heat so being done with flash light. I have read rave and it had been little slim on few things but think figured out now. As far as rebuild thats wayyyy out the picture. If the 4.6 is salvagable it will probally get a full rebuild and put back in parts/woods truck. Im hoping all looks well and plan to right stuff vc gasket and oil pan gasket and not have to fight it till this fall.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:49 AM
Mudding
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
if you un-torque the heads in the opposite pattern that they are tightened they are not hard to get out, start from the outside and work your way in to the center

I guess I had a different guy put my engine together on the assembly line that day, because my head bolts were REALLY in there! Now the vehicle had 82k miles on it and I assumed the heads had not previously been off (intake gasket had been changed, though), but I couldn't get the head bolts out with an impact wrench, and then only after Dusty recommended the breaker/cheater bar method did they come loose.

Yes, I was using the recommended removal pattern, but even then, I had to have the assistance of a second person to get a couple of the bolts out.

Old 03-07-2015, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

UPDATE.... if I am ever sitting somewhere and overhear guy say he designed the rover bay I prob back hand him. That being said parts motor out getting ready do new gaskets and down to bell housing bolts on our truck get motor out. Found the demise of the 4.6,went to break fan loose and wobbles. Guessing impeller shaft broke. But non less making headway. If garage was cleaner more room it wouldnt be bad job. Next question,new motor non sai wondering the fast fix. This is "off road" vehical. Can just hook noids up keep light off. Thanks in advance,wish me luck plan to leave tommorow night for florida vacation in it.