Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gauge set doesn’t work when it’s cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:56 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge set doesn’t work when it’s cold

Sometimes in the morning when it’s really cold the gauges and lights don’t work until I drive for a bit and let the battery charge. Is this normal? If it isn’t what could the problem be?

Old 03-15-2019, 02:21 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

Could be a weak battery, cold will bring out the worst in them. Does your truck turnover strong or a bit weak ?

Old 03-16-2019, 10:57 AM
Overlanding

When it’s really cold it takes a little bit longer and it actually takes a couple turns with the key to get the starter going. I got a new battery back in August

Old 03-16-2019, 01:38 PM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

Sounds like one of 3 problems,
  • your alternator is not supplying very good voltage, so your battery is getting a marginal charge
  • your battery has a poor Cold Cranking amp rating or is just not very good
  • You have a drain somewhere
My suggestion is take it out for a good drive then disconnect the battery overnight, hook it up in the morning and see if the truck starts normally of it does it is most likely something draining your battery. If not it is the battery or alternator, you can check the alternator and battery with a multi meter

Old 04-06-2019, 11:41 AM
Overlanding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Sounds like one of 3 problems,
  • your alternator is not supplying very good voltage, so your battery is getting a marginal charge
  • your battery has a poor Cold Cranking amp rating or is just not very good
  • You have a drain somewhere
My suggestion is take it out for a good drive then disconnect the battery overnight, hook it up in the morning and see if the truck starts normally of it does it is most likely something draining your battery. If not it is the battery or alternator, you can check the alternator and battery with a multi meter
i actually put a new alternator back in November because it stopped working and I got stranded. So hopefully it’s not the alternator. It’s a Walmart battery so it could just be a crappy battery. I have a subwoofer but it doesn’t turn on until the stereo turns on. When I put the stereo in I didn’t connect the constant(or whatever it’s called) wire so it doesn’t give it any power when my car is off. That little digital clock up front stays on but I doubt that could be draining the battery THAT much. The clock doesn’t light up like it should either but I’m not worried about that. Is there anything else that could be draining the battery?

Old 04-06-2019, 12:37 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Wait wait wait wait

My turn signals don't work in 20 or so degree weather until the cabin is warmed up, I assume it is the grease in the contacts

Old 04-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

Yep, i get that as well. Dexol is what i use to referb vintage guitar amp pots, ill probably give that a whirl