Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear light flashing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 08:02 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Will do. By any chance.. and this is just a thought.. do the sensors read the shifter or the internals? I only ask because the shifter is in the neutral position. The cable is snapped so I manually put the t-case in high gear. Does that make sense or ami being an idiot?

Old 02-14-2014, 08:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroone
Will do. By any chance.. and this is just a thought.. do the sensors read the shifter or the internals? I only ask because the shifter is in the neutral position. The cable is snapped so I manually put the t-case in high gear. Does that make sense or ami being an idiot?
No, I get what you are saying. It never hurts to think outside the box after checking the obvious. I believe Spock said it best, "If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" .

I was looking for something like what you said in the RAVE, but couldn't find anything. It wouldn't hurt to move the shifter into high and see.

I was also thinking along those lines also and thinking maybe the switch was somehow grounded through the shifter cable, so that the light might come on to let you know there was a problem, if it ever broke while driving. I couldn't find anything to back up that theory in the RAVE. I suppose you could touch the 2 broken ends of the shifter cable together to test that.

Hang in there and stay positive. Just keep eliminating things and you are bound to find the problem.

Old 02-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Winching

I got it. The lever on the transfercase that the aforementioned cable attaches to was engaged in high gear just enough to drive it. Got a big *** prybar and a bit of a push after soaking in some pb blaster make a huge difference. Light is off. Shifter still sits in the middle.. then again a busted cable will do that. Re riveted the floor back in for now as cold air flows through that big hole In the floor. For future reference... If the shifter has never been moved... don't touch it... lol

Thanks for the help with the sensors. I didn't break any of them it turns out. The lever on the case was frozen. THAT'S Why The Cable snapped

Old 02-14-2014, 09:56 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroone
I got it. The lever on the transfercase that the aforementioned cable attaches to was engaged in high gear just enough to drive it. Got a big *** prybar and a bit of a push after soaking in some pb blaster make a huge difference. Light is off. Shifter still sits in the middle.. then again a busted cable will do that. Re riveted the floor back in for now as cold air flows through that big hole In the floor. For future reference... If the shifter has never been moved... don't touch it... lol

Thanks for the help with the sensors. I didn't break any of them it turns out. The lever on the case was frozen. THAT'S Why The Cable snapped
Great news!! Now go and sacrifice a Ford to the Rover gods for not blowing up your T-Case while you drove it "somewhat" engaged. You got lucky my friend, and that doesn't happen to often with these trucks. They are typically not forgiving creatures.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:14 PM
Winching

This I know. Sacrifice a ford? Haha.. I've got 3 here just asking for punishment..

Kinda makes me wonder how long it's been like that. I'm guessing all I did was finish it off.

Old 04-17-2020, 11:33 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello!!! I know it's been a long time hopefully someone can still help !!! My disco 2 started doing the exact same thing just that nothings broken the 4 lo goes in smoothly and engaged just the flashing light and beeping won't stop !!!