Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gear and xfer case oil additive required?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
ok so drain plugs are ok to reuse, but replace the 2 fill plugs which are apparently plastic, with 2 more new drain plugs?
You don't have to replace the plastic fill plugs, unless they have been smashed up. Obviously the brass plugs would be better.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question, I think Rave has a typo... the axle and xfer case list as expected the higher torque for the drain plugs... im assuming this follows with the tranny, but just to be sure...

From rave:

Automatic gearbox oil drain plug 15 Nm (11 lbf.ft)
Automatic gearbox oil drain plug 30 Nm (22 lbf.ft)

Old 03-27-2011, 10:25 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could be due to the oil sitting on the drain plugs all the time compared to no oil sitting on the fill plug.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:38 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no thats what it usually is, i just want to be sure if anyone had ever noticed it in the rave

Old 03-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by grandkodiak
Question, I think Rave has a typo... the axle and xfer case list as expected the higher torque for the drain plugs... im assuming this follows with the tranny, but just to be sure...

From rave:

Automatic gearbox oil drain plug 15 Nm (11 lbf.ft)
Automatic gearbox oil drain plug 30 Nm (22 lbf.ft)

You are your torque values...they are stupid fill and drain plugs, snug them up nice and tight, they wont leak.
If it makes you feel better wrap the threads in plumbers tape, screw the damn things in and forgetaboutit.

Old 03-27-2011, 03:43 PM
Winching
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sloan74
I do not think you need to replace them. Unless they are bad (start leaking - which would be hard to do being the fluid does not sit above them - unless your upside down ). I usually fill my diffs/xfer cases until the new oil starts to drip out of the fill hole. Just make sure the truck is on a level surface.
And if you do replace them, replace them with plastic ones, as per factory.

No offense to Spike555, but I don't think he understands why there are plastic plugs on the fill side. It's a lesson you learn quickly when you work on old cars with brass or steel plugs for both fill and drain: always pull the fill first because it may not come out. You can always vac out of the fill plug if you can't get the drain out, but it's really kind of difficult to fill through the drain and know you got the level correct (and it makes a mess).

With a plastic fill plug, you can always easily break it out. Also, I've yet to see a plastic fill plug break at any time other than when its being removed, and I never try to remove one without another on hand as I don't like to re use them for that reason.

Old 03-27-2011, 04:07 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by DarylJ
And if you do replace them, replace them with plastic ones, as per factory.

No offense to Spike555, but I don't think he understands why there are plastic plugs on the fill side. It's a lesson you learn quickly when you work on old cars with brass or steel plugs for both fill and drain: always pull the fill first because it may not come out. You can always vac out of the fill plug if you can't get the drain out, but it's really kind of difficult to fill through the drain and know you got the level correct (and it makes a mess).

With a plastic fill plug, you can always easily break it out. Also, I've yet to see a plastic fill plug break at any time other than when its being removed, and I never try to remove one without another on hand as I don't like to re use them for that reason.

No offense taken, however all Rovers (over 50 years worth) all had brass fill/drain plugs.
Rover went plastic to save a few bucks, the plastic ones are not as water tight, they get all buggered up and usually need to be replaced everytime you take them off.
Each to their own, he, you, anyone can use whatever they want.