Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on Disco spare cover options?
Land Rover "oval" - A
16.13%
Safari - Stag - B
8.06%
Safari - Cheetah - C
6.45%
Safari - Giraffe - D
6.45%
Safari - Elephant - E
16.13%
Safari - Rhino - F
27.42%
Leave it alone, who cares?
1.61%
Other - (please specify)
17.74%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Genuine LR "safari" spare tire covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by meltdowndave
Rhino cover with dealer's name....from half way across the country.

It's definitely a long way from home.
i bid on one on ebay that was from a dealership in Ireland... freakin lost but i wanted that thing so bad!

Old 01-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hilltoppersx
i bid on one on ebay that was from a dealership in Ireland... freakin lost but i wanted that thing so bad!
I was in New Zealand a few years ago and stumbled into an offroad center.

On the showroom floor was a late 70ish Series Rover in dark green. It had a long wheel base and in excellent condition. At the time, the asking price translated to $2000 US.

I'm kicking myself now for not snapping it up and working out a way to ship it despite the right hand drive and petrol engine (which were turn offs at the time).

Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 97 came with an OEM Green Oval cover, so I kept it. It looks good with the Epsom Green paint which is starting to fade.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Elephant cover from the stealership. Wanted the Rhino one, but was gifted the Elephant one as a "new car" present from the family. I think it looks better than the others now.

As far as fit, I have the 18 inch wheels and it fits like a glove.
As far as security, it looks like the zipper can be locked with a small pad-lock.

I've had it for 3 years and it has not faded or weathered in the Oregon sun/snow/sleet and it keeps the tire from getting weather-checked.

I was looking for one that said "HUMMER RECOVERY VEHICLE" in big white letters because I'd seen one somewhere on another Rover, and the guy around the corner from the house has a jacked up H2 that has never seen dirt.

Last edited by NW_rockhound; 01-04-2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the A. oval LR cover but i took it off the day i got the truck, i know the sun is bad for the spare, but i need a new spare tire as it is. i rock it with the plastic hubcap thing i like it the best

Originally Posted by humroot
I prefer the look without the cover.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Three Wheeling

I like the bare look too but the wife wanted one of these, couldn't believe I only paid about $42 for it at Fort Worth Land Rover.

Mine actually looks better than this, it shows mostly the head and horns rather than the whole steer.

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/h...LongHorn01.jpg

Old 01-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Wow. The only thing that says "Texas" more than that is one with a picture of Chuck Norris on it.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:35 PM
Mudding

I've seen the alligator lr one it was pretty badass. i don't know if its just my area of the country or what but i rarely see them with the trees on them , usually just an animal, idk,... haven't seen much in a while

Old 10-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
I have this tire cover.
LAND ROVER PARTS - TIRE COVER - SAFARI WITH L/R LOGO - STANDARD
Cam copied me because I am the best and that tire cover is also the best.

As for what these trucks are worth...The greatest car of all times !!! - YouTube
You cant put a price on heritage.
And you need to remember, LR's are sold all over the world and are THE most sought after 4x4.
So while that '97 is only worth $1500 here in the US in the deepest darkest part of Africa it is delivering life saving medicine and food to children.
Sure it looks like a$$, the windows dont work and the tires dont match but when it is bringing food to your family do you care?
Here in the US it's "keep up with the Jone's", in the other parts of the world it's walk 5 miles each way for clean drinking water and a old junked out Series I that smokes like a steam engine and has no brakes is priceless.
man, Spike. I love that post!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by EstorilM
How many of you all have these? It's strange, because I remember a period of time a few years ago when I'd always pull up behind a discovery at a light and see these type of spare tire covers - this hardly ever happens anymore (probably because discos obviously don't age very well/aren't on the road anymore, and LR3s have the hidden spares..) BUT still, I only see the boring "land rover oval" covers, which is the cover I bought mine with a couple weeks ago.

I went to the $tealership which had an original accessories DII catalog (rare!) that featured all of the designs - found the image online here:

Seems that the cheapest I can get them for (anywhere) is $120, while replica covers sell for $50 at amazon. Apparently the replica covers are low resolution and the screening is fairly low contrast, as well as being a "sketch" style with no solid green background colors. I've also heard that the LR cover is "theft proof" or something? ..this would seem impossible since that'd make it impossible to get to the bolts for the spare, but who knows. My current cover can come off very easily (the car wash almost grabbed it as a souvenir the other day )

So what are your thoughts? I'm trying to clean this disco up, since the previous owner slapped some really lame stuff on there and didn't care for the finish very well. I'm in the process of spending a few days cleaning/clay bar/wet sanding/buffing/waxing, and just bought some nice license plate frames - the cover is the next big visual impact item on my list. After that I'm contemplating 20% tint, but I enjoy the visibility of the disco so much that I'm reluctant to do it.
I still have mine but I keep it in the storage bin in the truck. It's just a Land Rover Oval with credits to Land Rover Buckhead, Georgia.

I wish they would make bigger sized covers, I'd love to get a badass animal on it. Better yet... how about a custom Dragonzord from Power Rangers? That would be sick.

And yes I just went nerd on you

Quick Reply: Genuine LR "safari" spare tire covers?