Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting ready for a trip

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Getting ready for a trip

I'm getting ready to move to Sacramento to go work for the park service and I'm only keeping my land rover and what I can fit in it.

So I need to get everything up to date before I limit myself to 1 tool box

First off, my steering wheel is loose. It appears that when the engine is off, I can move the wheel a few solid inches and the play is in the gear box (all steering components are rock solid). Is there a re build kit or is this normal?

Second, my front passenger side axle is leaking. How hard is it to replace this seal and is there anything I should do while I have everything apart.

Third, my upper and lower ball joints are shot. I'll be ordering 4 new ones from Atlantic British. Are there any special tools needed? I've never done ball joints.

Forth, I'm running 31" tires and I have a feeling they are destroying my differentials. I'm running 85-140 diff fluid. Can stock axles handle these tires?

And I'm sure there is something else.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 102 Likes on 89 Posts

Stock axles can handle 37s, they break when you're spinning the tire and it stops abruptly. You won't break a diff or axle shaft just driving around on the streets on big tires. You could snap a cross pin or shaft on aggressive 29s if you were spinning fast enough and caught instant traction.

Either way your axles and diffs can definitely handle 31s, especially if you're not off roading crazy hard.

Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Your tire size is OK, yes, if you play hard with your truck your diffs are going to act up, your axles are fine.
Do you have CDL?
Do you have a copy of the Rave CD, if not there is a link in my signature section.
Have you rebuilt or replaced your front drive shaft, when was the last major performed on your truck?
On your front axle seal, are you leaking a bluish grease from the hub or diff fluid from your diff, both are easy to repair, read the Rave for directions.
As for the steering play, read the rave for adjusting your gear box, if in fact that is where it is loose, don't over tighten it and plan on possibly replacing it down the road.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

From one area of political theater to a nest of vipers.... you may need radiator work to deal with all the extra hot air...

Old 09-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Stock axles can handle 37s, they break when you're spinning the tire and it stops abruptly. You won't break a diff or axle shaft just driving around on the streets on big tires. You could snap a cross pin or shaft on aggressive 29s if you were spinning fast enough and caught instant traction.

Either way your axles and diffs can definitely handle 31s, especially if you're not off roading crazy hard.
Really? They look so flimsy haha. I swapped out my rear diff about 6 months ago because the little pin holding the bearing in place disappeared and the bearing came out. Needless to say the diff ate itself. Is this common??

Your tire size is OK, yes, if you play hard with your truck your diffs are going to act up, your axles are fine.
Do you have CDL?
Do you have a copy of the Rave CD, if not there is a link in my signature section.
Have you rebuilt or replaced your front drive shaft, when was the last major performed on your truck?
On your front axle seal, are you leaking a bluish grease from the hub or diff fluid from your diff, both are easy to repair, read the Rave for directions.
As for the steering play, read the rave for adjusting your gear box, if in fact that is where it is loose, don't over tighten it and plan on possibly replacing it down the road.
I drive pretty aggressively and have CDL so I tend to go where I shouldn't. But hey, it's too much fun to resist.

All fluids are good to go, did the head gaskets a few months ago and I have a fully greasable driveshaft that I check on when I do my oil changes.

It looks like I'm leaking diff fluid from the shaft.

And I'll check the RAVE again, I figured it wouldn't be too difficult but I figured I should ask first.

From one area of political theater to a nest of vipers.... you may need radiator work to deal with all the extra hot air...
It keeps things interesting

Old 09-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by FlyingZebra34
Really? They look so flimsy haha. I swapped out my rear diff about 6 months ago because the little pin holding the bearing in place disappeared and the bearing came out. Needless to say the diff ate itself. Is this common??
They make look flimsy, but they're not. Don Trudeau(the guy who did my panhard rod conversion) has been running beadlocked 37s on stock gears, stock diffs, and stock axle shafts for over a year. So far he's only had one diff go on him.

If you had diff issues on 31s, it is likely because of water ingress and the diff wasn't properly lubricated. Though the diffs can definitely go!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well that is good to know. I'm just familiar with stock jeeps having the most under rated axles stock. Glad to know rover actually out did themselves for once.

On another note. When idling my oil pressure moves around a lot around 20psi. Is this a sign of failure?

And just to make my day. On the way home from work my main window got stuck half way. I've tried asking it nicely. No luck.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Camel Trophy

But just to be clear, I am not recommending it be done! I have 33s and have upgraded diffs and HD rear axles, soon to get HD front axles. The stuff will break under heavy load.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle

31's are enough for me. My gas milage is bad enough. Where did you get HD axles???

Old 09-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Camel Trophy

Bill D at GBR sells front and rear, and Justin a L8 sells Ashcroft front and rear.

Quick Reply: Getting ready for a trip