Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to Buy a LR Discovery soon need help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 01:40 AM
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Buy a LR Discovery soon need help.

Hi Everyone Iam going to be Buying a Land Rover Discovery Soon for my Wife.

I Own a 07STi and i love it but My wife Drive a 2000 Dodge Neon and it has about 160K so she wants a better car and KIDs in the Furture...So Something Bigger

So She lloves these car So witch one to get and have less problem and Just better we do have a price Range of $14k on her car so ya .We dont plan on takeing it off roading or anthing like that just daily Driveing,In SUnny SOCAl...Thanks For your input and Help..

Tim.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:37 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Going to Buy a LR Discovery soon need help.

You will be getting a full time 4x4 with a transfer case.
Taking it off road or not you will have to pay to keep up with
drive train look up ABS/TC/Hill decent lights.

Most Land Rovers get 12mpg to 14mpg in town all the way up
to 15mpg to 17mpg hwy thelatter # for stock.

I like mine, I have foundthat if I had no need for a 4x4 I would
not have mine.

Its or was a high end truck so parts and labor is not cheap.

If you find one you like look for records that helps but most are
sold when owners don't want to fix something.

You may spend about $2k in the first few months to set right
what needed done be ready for this.
If your not you or her will not like the truck.

If you can work on the LR you will be better off.

Good luck

Old 09-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

If you're going to do it, my advice is to drop 21K at a Land Rover dealer for an '04. Most will have a little time left on the factory warranty and the dealer usually includes their "certified" warranty, which adds another 2 years.

I visited this forum before I bought mine and guys like Mike recommended the '04 as the all around best year for the Discovery. In stuff like this, I tend to heed the advice of experts.

As others have said, these things are not cheap to run. I've been looking at parts costs from engines and transmissions to ABS parts. I've had a '99 Rodeo since new and I thought the parts for that were expensive. Parts for the Land Rover are double or more.

While mine is under warranty, I opened up a special savings account into which I'll put $200/month. When the warranty on mine runs out in 3 years, I'll have a $7000 slush fund which is enough to cover a major repair or a down payment on something else.

All of that said, I think these aregreat cars. My wife LOVES it.

Dave

Old 09-14-2007, 10:29 AM
Three Wheeling

I am getting ready to pick up a used 2000 LR Disco that I found out here. I am only planning on using it as a second vehicle but for the first few months here I am going to be driving it as the main vehicle. That is worrying me a little about how much this vehicle is going to run in cost for repairs and etc.

Talking to people online here they all reccommend them if you like to work on a vehicle it seems. They do have their quirks like any vehicle and some are great and not really prone to problems ( I have noticed listening in) and others are horrible. I believe this is due to people not wanting or willing to pay for maintence on their vehicles. I was thinking about getting a newer land cruiser but I didnt like driving them as much so I went with the Disco. Hopefully I wont be to worried but I have about a grand stashed just incase this needs something. Hopefully will have more in a few more weeks. (Knocks on wood)

Old 09-14-2007, 10:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't be scared, but be prepared. Some are great, some take a little more. I haven't done anything major, but lots of little things. Mine was seriously abuse when I got it, so I have had to do more than average. Keep up with the maintenance and you should be ok. A friend of mine sold his 2000 a few months ago. Said he would never buy another one. Absolutely hated his a complained all of the time. He bought a 5 series BMW, and is looking for an 04 Disco as I am writing this. Total love-hate relationship. No matter how frustrated you get with the problems you may encounter, you will fall in love.

Get a nice piece of cherry or oak. Stain it and finish it, and put it by your garage door. Knock on it every time you get into the truck........

Old 09-14-2007, 11:30 AM
8th Gear

WOW it sound really scary now but i love these cars a lot to much but dont really have the fund to fix it and we can only spend 14k and that finance too,and my wife drive a ave 60 miles a day...

Old 09-14-2007, 11:47 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LRFTW

WOW it sound really scary now but i love these cars a lot to much but dont really have the fund to fix it and we can only spend 14k and that finance too,and my wife drive a ave 60 miles a day...
60 miles a day on 93 octgas, plus the cost to maintain it is $.
Mine is a 2nd car backpack/ kayak/ campinggear hauler.

Mydaily driver is a VW TDI diesel38 to 51mpg.

I do like to drive my Disco and do so when I not on the way to
work and that makes all the better.

You may want to wait, they are great trucks but may not fit
your/her needs at this time.

Gas willnever get any cheaper!

Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: LRFTW

Then, I would pass. The gas alone on a 60 miles daily commute will kill you.

Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM
8th Gear

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO

Iam getting sad now...

Old 09-14-2007, 12:04 PM
Rock Crawling

Agreed, gas is a big issue if you're on a tighter budget. Mine is a daily driverand I take weekend trips up and down the east coast for camping, etc. I probably spend on average about $400 a month on gas alone. If your wife drives 60 miles a day, you're looking at around the same amount.

Bright side is that these are incredibly easy to do a majority of the work yourself, and I've been pleasantly surprised. If you're willing to tackle maintenance and things yourself, you save alot of money.

Quick Reply: Going to Buy a LR Discovery soon need help.