Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to look at a 95 Disco Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 07:56 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to look at a 95 Disco Saturday

The Disco looks and sounds like it has really been taken care of. Anything in particular I should take a close look at before buying it?

Old 01-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Going to look at a 95 Disco Saturday

Is the check engine light on? Does the cruise work? Is the ABS light on? Open the oil fillercap and look inside to see if the engine is all sludged up.
Did they use premium gas? Does the Central Diff Lock lever move? Check that all the power windos work too. As well as the sunroofs.
Most of these things are easy DIY fixes if you are mechanical. So if you are and these things are wrong use them to your advantage when negotiating the price then get back to us and we can help you fix it.
Good luck Saturday.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Mudding

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Is the check engine light on? Does the cruise work? Is the ABS light on? Open the oil fillercap and look inside to see if the engine is all sludged up.
Did they use premium gas? Does the Central Diff Lock lever move? Check that all the power windos work too. As well as the sunroofs.
Most of these things are easy DIY fixes if you are mechanical. So if you are and these things are wrong use them to your advantage when negotiating the price then get back to us and we can help you fix it.
Good luck Saturday.
Thanks! I know everything about it except about the sludge (I'll look Saturday). Everything you listed is working except for the cruise control. He also said the lights won't stay on high beam unless you hold it.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

The cruise is most likely a leaking vacum line. As far as the high beams go I would guess the switch inside the steering colum is bad but I could be wrong.
Is it gas or a diesel? Where are you located?

Old 01-28-2008, 09:11 PM
Mudding

It's gas. I'm in NC. I can't say enough about this forum. You guys have been very helpful, I hope I can return the favor.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey fellas. I'm going to check out a 96 on thursday, i have to drive 200 miles to take a test drive..so it better be good. I found some good tidbits, and i've purchased 4x4's before, but never anything but a japanese or american....

Is the check engine light a real red flag on these? I'm trying to do as much research as possible on this, it's going to be a truck that I want to drive for a long time, like if I ever buy another vehicle, I would like to modify/lift/etc this one. I was going to do a landcruiser but it sold before I got the $$ together. But I'm sort of glad it did, this Rover is looks decent and the price is ok. And seriously...it's a freekin' LAND ROVER!!!

http://duluth.craigslist.org/cto/903397631.html

don't run up there and steal it from me now (maybe i shouldn't have posted this link )

Old 11-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Princelumber

The 95 and 96 are exactly the same truck, so you can check the same stuff that Spike said. Basically just go check it out and report back any issues you may see here. Tell us about any little thing. It could be something catastrophic and it could be something that's completely normal. GL

Old 11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Team Owner

Ok, the check engine light is no big deal, 90% of the time it is because it need a tune up, plugs and wires and a distribitor cap and rotor as well.
The cruise control not working and the ABS light being on are the other two things that are common on DI's.
The ABS pull the fuse under the hood and be done with it.
The cruise is a vacum leak.
Check and make sure that everything works. Just like I have already said.
Make sure that youuse premium gas.
And the CD changer not working and the stereo AMP not working are the other two common faults. Nothing that is a deal breaker though.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Three Wheeling

well i just talked to the guy, and he said:
neither of the sunroofs worked,
small exhaust leak.

perusing around here, it sounds like this is pretty much par for the course. The new tires make this sound like a deal, though, i'm driving out there wednesday i think, check in hand. The guy said these have aluminum frames??? Heck, this thing could last forever in MN.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Print this and take it with you.
http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?t=1676

Quick Reply: Going to look at a 95 Disco Saturday