Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to look at a Discovery 1, need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to look at a Discovery 1, need some advice

First I'd like to say great site you have here. I have found lots of information over the past couple days while lurking around.

I am looking at buying a 1996 Discovery 1, and am going to look at it tonight. I found a post somewhere with a lot of things to look for and will try to memorize that, but I have a few questions regarding the things I know that are wrong already.

First the seller says it needs a new transmission, and from what he tells me it sounds true. He says it won't move in any of the forward gears but can be driven in reverse. This isn't the fuse/bulb interlock is it?

It also needs a muffler, has leaky power steering hoses, and the sunroofs don't work (he says cables).

The truck seems to be in very good condition from the pictures I saw, but does need a passenger side front turn signal and headlight. The interior is also very clean.

I don't have any problem doing the work, just wanted some opinions.

BTW, he is asking $1500 OBO. I was thinking $1000-1200. The truck has 120K miles.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'd say $1k.

heres a 1996 in good condition for 2.5k asking?
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/1258763174.html

Old 07-16-2009, 07:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Default Disco I

I don't know man. Needs a new transmission ? That would be a show-stopper for me, unless you've got an idea of how to get that fixed and how much it's going to run. I've heard the sunroofs can be a pain also. My '96 Disco has been a good truck, but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles - like sunroofs. But if you do decide to look at it, check the dash for curling in front, check the rear view mirror for cloudiness, check the engine for ticks, and see if you can see gunk in the oil fill hole. Also, make sure no check engine light is on and that the bulb hasn't been removed on any of the idiot lights. And of course, the owner should have some previous service history.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:10 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Stay away from it, they are only a $1000 to $2000 truck when in good shape.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Yeah I'd avoid it. Just the fact that it needs all that stuff means it's probably been a bit neglected, even if it appears to be in good shape.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Ok so I went and looked at it. The owner is a tech at the local dealership, and was pretty honest about all that was wrong.

The interior is great except the rear windows don't work, which seems to be a common problem, and the headliner is sagging.

It needs a P.S. pressure line, transmission, muffler, passenger headlight and turn signal to be road worthy again. Other than the the P.S. leak there didn't appear to be any leaks under the truck. There was some antifreeze laying on the intake manifold (he said IM gasket, I would hope it isn't head gaskets, but there was no smoke from the exhaust). The engine sounded healthy, no knocking or ticking.

There was some rust in the rear door jams, and the sunroofs don't work. It is an SE7 model.

I'm still on the fence about it. I found transmissions for $500, the owner said he found one at a local yard for $400, but he wasn't sure it needed it yet, he said he would try a flush and filter change first. How hard is it to remove the transmission? I have done it on other cars (as well as motors, just so that you know that I am fairly mechanically competent), and have a transmission jack.

I found the hose for $47 from Atlantic British. The owner said a local shope would make it for $25. The intake gasket is $50 from them A.B. as well. I could cut and weld a generic muffler in there for pretty cheap. I also found the lights for about $125 for both.

If he takes $1000 is it worth it? I know what Mike is saying about them not being worth much in good shape, but if I could have less than $2000 in this I dont' think it would be bad. It's just work I would have to do.

Last edited by camaroz1985; 07-16-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:22 AM
Drifting

Here are some pictures (I know not really much of a help, but they are something).

I just saw there was a 95 in my area for sale for $2600, but it has an R-title and is in pretty sad shape. There are some others for 3500-4000.

I am looking for something that I can drive around while my other car is fixed (was rear ended by an uninsured driver who was under the influence). I needed a truck anyway (not for hauling, but towing), and the fact that it can fit 4 or 5 people in comfort and go just about anywhere is what drew me to the Discovery. I know its probably not the ideal vehicle for towing, but I have always liked them, just didn't know they were so cheap. I am looking to spend $1500-2000 for a functioning truck. It doesn't need to be perfect looking, though I wouldn't want one that was too rough. Am I being unreasonable?

Old 07-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

You can get the intake gasket for about $12 from the local Autozone, search here for "Felpro" and my user name. I've posted the PN several times I think.
No comment on the transmission, I'm not familiar at all with the automatics.

Old 07-16-2009, 10:37 AM
Drifting

Yeah I stumbled across that already. Thanks. What about valve cover gaskets though?

Old 07-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm sure there is one that would work, but I have no idea what it is.

Quick Reply: Going to look at a Discovery 1, need some advice