Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to tackle the trans fluid and diff soon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Going to tackle the trans fluid and diff soon.

A few questions for all of those in the know.
According to the 60K instructions, 80/90W syn should be used. The only syn I see online at Advanced Auto Parts is M1 75/90W. I assume this would be OK? None of the others look to be syn, except the Valveoline which is a "blend". If these require syn I would rather go full on. Any advice or tips on this part? Also, should I realistically expect to use 7qts?
For the ATF, the Dextron III looks to be the go-to, but just wondering if there has since been an upgrade to use. I understand you will only get about 1/2 of the fluid out each time, but figure maybe over a few times I could make a full switch. Worth it or not?
Any other tips/advice for doing the trans fluid and gear oil will be much appreciated. I'm not doing the trans filter this time around, but will find the kit online and do it during the next one (likely very soon as I want fresh fluid and I'm not sure when/if it has been done before).

Old 02-09-2011, 09:19 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

FYI - you can get the trans filter and gaskets set at your local auto store for around $16, at least I did at Advance Auto, was shipped from one of their bigger stores same day.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
FYI - you can get the trans filter and gaskets set at your local auto store for around $16, at least I did at Advance Auto, was shipped from one of their bigger stores same day.
Was it the Pro-King one? I never heard of the company, and it had no pics so I wasn't sure if this indeed was correct. This sound familiar?:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Automatic-Transmission-Flush-and-Filter-Kit-Pro-King_5150002-P_N3493_T|GRP2083____

Old 02-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Also, this is the ATF I was going to buy:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._8150020-P_x_x

Old 02-09-2011, 09:28 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Was it the Pro-King one? I never heard of the company, and it had no pics so I wasn't sure if this indeed was correct. This sound familiar?:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Automatic-Transmission-Flush-and-Filter-Kit-Pro-King_5150002-P_N3493_T|GRP2083____
To be honest, I'm not sure, it was a while ago. I was going to order a kit from one of the usual rover suspects, but while in Advance had them look it up and found it for 15 or 16 w/ no shipping. I compared it with what was on my truck and everything was the same and installed great, no issues.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:31 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Also, this is the ATF I was going to buy:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..._8150020-P_x_x
Go for it. I went "value" again and used Advance's DexIII.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

I used 6qts of M1 75/90, there was about 1/4 left in the last bottle after filling both diffs and the tcase.
The tcase fill plug is a bitch to get at, I used a 1/2" wobble extension and some cursing to get it out. It also helps cleaning off all the crap underneath before starting. I used a large socket to get the plastic fill plugs off the diffs, I don't think those slots will hold up well to a screw driver.
Do the trans filter and one oil change, unless the old oil trans fluid looks bad. I used Valvoline max life, 2 gal cans will be enough. Be careful when fitting the cover on the tranny, those little cover brackets are bitches. Take note of where each one goes before removing them, they are different. Fit each one loosely when putting the cover back and wiggle the whole works until they all fit properly, then tighten up. I got the trans filter kit at Napa.

Last edited by Bundu; 02-09-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bundu
I used 6qts of M1 75/90, there was about 1/4 left in the last bottle after filling both diffs and the tcase.
The tcase fill plug is a bitch to get at, I used a 1/2" wobble extension and some cursing to get it out. It also helps cleaning off all the crap underneath before starting. I used a large socket to get the plastic fill plugs off the diffs, I don't think those slots will hold up well to a screw driver.
Do the trans filter and one oil change, unless the old oil trans fluid looks bad. I used Valvoline max life, 2 gal cans will be enough. Be careful when fitting the cover on the tranny, those little cover brackets are bitches. Take note of where each one goes before removing them, they are different. Fit each one loosely when putting the cover back and wiggle the whole works until they all fit properly, then tighten up. I got the trans filter kit at Napa.
Thanks! That is what I will get. A question though: Is it better for the trans/diffs to be warm for this? Being gear oil flows like molasses, I figure that has to be the case. Also, would it be easier or remove more (especially the trans) to use a Mityvac fluid extractor anywhere?

Old 02-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think a mightvac will help. Granted, we did mine in a buddy's tranny shop and had a lift and the right tools, but most of the drains will do all you need them to. Filling was made easier with a pump and U shaped aluminum filling tube. Filling is fun without the bulk filler. Then you are doing the one bottle at a time with a hose thing. I used an LR gasket for the pan, it fit perfect with no need to stretch it like a lot of the cheapo aftermarket ones. I put in a new filter although the one that is in there is all metal and can be easily cleaned. My tips are, 6 point socket for the plastic plugs on the diffs, and take it easy on them. Anything else will bugger them up. Check your diff vents while you are down there. I had some water in my front diff and the vent tube had been knocked off. If the old pan had silicone on it, gently remove it with a "plastic" scraper and clean it real well. New gasket NO SILICONE! If the rubber wont seal, silicone is not going to seal any better. Man it drives me nuts when I see that stuff on a flat rubber gasket. The little brackets are not that tricky, there are only two different types, one for the corners and ones for the flats. Easy to tell which is which. Since a have a friend who works at a GM dealer I used all GM fluids, synth diff fluid, chassis lube, etc... On a side note the GM diff fluid said it was a new pleasant "Grape scent" I S$%t you not! LOL, still smelled like gear lube to me though.

I have to wonder who thought the smell was an issue.

Oh PS, although I say the pan isn't that hard... everything is 10x easier on a lift so ymmv ;-)

Last edited by photocrimes; 02-09-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Banned

I drove my truck to pickup the oil, so it was hot and the gear oil dumped out very quick. Just watch the hot exhaust near the tcase.
You don't need a mityvac, actually it will be of no use anywhere.
Think of getting something to pump the fluids in. Either one of those hand pumps that fit on the 1 gal cans for the tranny oil, or those insecticide sprayers you get at home depot. You will be happy you did, pumping gear oil sucks.

Quick Reply: Going to tackle the trans fluid and diff soon.