Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to tackle the trans fluid and diff soon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:57 AM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bundu
I drove my truck to pickup the oil, so it was hot and the gear oil dumped out very quick. Just watch the hot exhaust near the tcase.
You don't need a mityvac, actually it will be of no use anywhere.
Think of getting something to pump the fluids in. Either one of those hand pumps that fit on the 1 gal cans for the tranny oil, or those insecticide sprayers you get at home depot. You will be happy you did, pumping gear oil sucks.
X2 The time you save will be more than worth it.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by photocrimes
On a side note the GM diff fluid said it was a new pleasant "Grape scent" I S$%t you not! LOL, still smelled like gear lube to me though.

I have to wonder who thought the smell was an issue.
That is actually hilarious! I though, would be one of those that would jump at a better smelling gear oil! Although it has been a while since I sniffed it, I used to almost puke because of it. I had a Jetta Turbo Diesel as my beater car for a few years through college, and put about 250K on her. She was unstoppable, but the manual trans was leaking for the last 2 years or 75K I had her. The stuff does NOT smell great, but is even worse when it splatters all over the bottom of a hot diesel car and the exhaust. Imagine sitting in traffic on a summer day with that smell. Plus, I would have to shut the air off in traffic if it was really hot out and the engine temp would creep up. So, windows down, traffic, gear oil... I would have LOVED a grape scent! LMAO. Although like you said, I'm sure you can't make it smell all that much better!

Old 02-09-2011, 11:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Bundu
I drove my truck to pickup the oil, so it was hot and the gear oil dumped out very quick. Just watch the hot exhaust near the tcase.
You don't need a mityvac, actually it will be of no use anywhere.
Think of getting something to pump the fluids in. Either one of those hand pumps that fit on the 1 gal cans for the tranny oil, or those insecticide sprayers you get at home depot. You will be happy you did, pumping gear oil sucks.
Yep.. got one of those small hand pumps for fluid. See how she goes!

Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle

OK, everything ordered from Advanced Auto Parts and will be picking it up in a bit. Hopefully get to it sometime this week!

Old 02-09-2011, 01:35 PM
Winching

x2 transfer case fill bolt is a pita to get to. just be patient, lol

also make sure you have the socket head to remove the diff fill bolts, it's large, i forget which size. bundu which size is it? lol

everything else is easy.

edit: when your putting the transmission pan back on be careful not to use too much force, those oem bolts can break easy, when that happens you turn a small project into a large project. go slow and careful on that. do not tighten them hard, they barely need any torq, you should notice that when removing the pan. if you break one don't panic, just post here and we will help ya back the broken bolt out.

Last edited by sloan74; 02-09-2011 at 01:57 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 02:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by sloan74
x2 transfer case fill bolt is a pita to get to. just be patient, lol

also make sure you have the socket head to remove the diff fill bolts, it's large, i forget which size. bundu which size is it? lol

everything else is easy.

edit: when your putting the transmission pan back on be careful not to use too much force, those oem bolts can break easy, when that happens you turn a small project into a large project. go slow and careful on that. do not tighten them hard, they barely need any torq, you should notice that when removing the pan. if you break one don't panic, just post here and we will help ya back the broken bolt out.
Great, make me more nervous!!! I need to look in the RAVE manual for the size, but you think it is bigger than 1"? I have a buddy coming over to mess around with it and can have him bring something bigger if needed too.
Also, the biggest question I have: Should I put it up on ramps or jack/jackstands to do this? I figured this is something you might want on level ground for and just slide under. Thoughts?

Old 02-09-2011, 03:21 PM
Winching

keep it level. you want to full all the fluids when its level. you should be able to slide under without jacking everything up. how large are you? hehe

Old 02-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by sloan74
keep it level. you want to full all the fluids when its level. you should be able to slide under without jacking everything up. how large are you? hehe
That's what I figured! I was able to slide under for the oil (not with a creeper though) so thought this would be fine too.

Old 02-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The diff plugs are a hair under 1", 15/16 or something like that. Ideally you want a 6 point socket because my 12 point barely managed before jumping off the nut.
The diffs will not be a problem to get to, the tcase can get tight for a large person.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Seems everyones tips were great. I did all this last week. I would get your Trans fluid Valvoline MaxLife @ Wal-Mart its about $15 per gal. A little cheaper than the autoparts stores. Also remove the fill plug from the T-case before the drain plug. Its my rule, that way you cannot screw yourself, with an empty T-case and no way to fill it. I have found that a 1/2" wobble extension to a 6" extension to a breaker bar will get that fill plug started to turn. Its tuff if you have never removed it before.
I ran my Rover up on 4 ramps...so it was level but high with a 2" lift. Plenty of room for a creeper.

The trans fluid will shoot out of the FILL plug a good 12" in front of the pan so place your catch pan well in front of it. Some cardboard on the ground is a good idea. I have most of the 2nd gallon left over to do a 2nd change in a few weeks. Mine was changed at 60k and came out dark cranberry red now at 95k. I'll be interested to see how it looks now in 2 weeks

Quick Reply: Going to tackle the trans fluid and diff soon.