Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to tackle the trans fluid and diff soon.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 10:36 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by photocrimes
I don't think a mightvac will help. Granted, we did mine in a buddy's tranny shop and had a lift and the right tools, but most of the drains will do all you need them to. Filling was made easier with a pump and U shaped aluminum filling tube. Filling is fun without the bulk filler. Then you are doing the one bottle at a time with a hose thing. I used an LR gasket for the pan, it fit perfect with no need to stretch it like a lot of the cheapo aftermarket ones. I put in a new filter although the one that is in there is all metal and can be easily cleaned. My tips are, 6 point socket for the plastic plugs on the diffs, and take it easy on them. Anything else will bugger them up. Check your diff vents while you are down there. I had some water in my front diff and the vent tube had been knocked off. If the old pan had silicone on it, gently remove it with a "plastic" scraper and clean it real well. New gasket NO SILICONE! If the rubber wont seal, silicone is not going to seal any better. Man it drives me nuts when I see that stuff on a flat rubber gasket. The little brackets are not that tricky, there are only two different types, one for the corners and ones for the flats. Easy to tell which is which. Since a have a friend who works at a GM dealer I used all GM fluids, synth diff fluid, chassis lube, etc... On a side note the GM diff fluid said it was a new pleasant "Grape scent" I S$%t you not! LOL, still smelled like gear lube to me though.

I have to wonder who thought the smell was an issue.

Oh PS, although I say the pan isn't that hard... everything is 10x easier on a lift so ymmv ;-)
Those plastic plugs are a total B!tch. Just order a proper brass set from an aussie dealer on eBay and will let you know how they fit when they arrive this weekend. Paid about 30.00 US for them to be shipped to me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Land-Rover-Disco...ht_1395wt_1141

Old 02-10-2011, 12:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I did was take a large enough flat head screwdriver AND an adjustable wrench and used BOTH at the same time and the bolt came right off!!
It was almost TOO easy - and it scared me a little thinking I broke it or something!!!

Old 02-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK, did the dead tonight! All went great. Did the 2 diffs and the transfer case. Somehow a gremlin stole my 8mm key, so the trans will wait till another night (the ONLY one missing...argh).
Everything went very smooth. All the drain and fill plugs were pretty simple to do. No drama at all going on or off, and tightened them back according to spec. I used 6 qts of M1 total.
The transfer case was a bit of a PITA, but otherwise easy going. The transfer and rear diff produced fairly black, dirty oil. The front looked pretty much new, so I'm guessing that one was done fairly recently for some reason. Any ideas on why one would be done and not the others?
Also, do the drains have magnetic plugs from the factory? Each had it, and I didn't remember seeing anything about that. Not sure if a previous owner had put them in or not.
Thanks to all for the tips and advice. Some music, some snacks and a few beverages made for a good night with the Rover and a friend.
On to the transmission now!