Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good ol' front Drive Shaft!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 01:29 AM
Mudding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Aaron, did you rebuild your own or did you have it done somewhere? Just wondering?

Regards,

Old 03-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Shane,

I rebuilt it alongside my mechanic in his shop. We used the Neapco parts (3 ujoints and centering ball) detailed on this forum from Advance Auto.

-aaron

Old 03-21-2010, 07:35 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Sounds like one of the u-joints is binding perhaps. Or maybe where you had it balanced didn't get it right. Have you talked to them?

Old 03-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Mudding

Hmmm, thats odd, i agree, maybe the balancing didn't go right because mine is smoothe as a babies butt man, rides just as it did before AND i'm not worried about it coming apart and tearing up my tranny!! I used the SAME exact parts that you did to a "T" to rebuild my drive shaft, i also cleaned it and spray painted it black and greased it before I got it balanced so it looks brand spankin new...

did you ever figure out why it isn't riding smooth?

Regards,

Old 03-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I located a Disco front drive shaft at a local import recycling yard that I plan to get and build up with the greasable u-joints then swap out with my original unit which I will also rebuild and hold onto as a spare.

Very interested in best source and prices for best greasable u-joints to use, since I will be doing two driveshafts. Also any problems encountered. Thanks

Old 03-26-2010, 03:23 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Danny Lee 97 Disco
I located a Disco front drive shaft at a local import recycling yard that I plan to get and build up with the greasable u-joints then swap out with my original unit which I will also rebuild and hold onto as a spare.

Very interested in best source and prices for best greasable u-joints to use, since I will be doing two driveshafts. Also any problems encountered. Thanks

Hey Danny Lee, I got all of my U-Joints from HERE, and the centering ball HERE!! After that, I had a pretty hard time locating the U-Joint tool so I just went to Harbor Freight and bought one, then returned it after I finished using it... Don't usually do that, but I don't usually rebuild drive shafts either so.. you get the picture right!! Anyways, once you get that tool, its pretty easy to get the old ones out!! Make sure and clean the drive shaft real good, that will make installing the new ones a little bit easier and try your best to stay calm and not BEAT the hell out of the new ones because you will have to start all over!!

Best of luck to you man, let us know how it goes!

Regards,