Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a '03 Disco that doesn't want to crank...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 06:12 AM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Got a '03 Disco that doesn't want to crank...

Yesterday, I went to start my '03 Disco, and it wouldn't start. It turns and turns and turns, but wouldn't start. I tried it several times with no luck, then all of a sudden, it started, just like normal, no hesitation or anything. I thought it was a fluke until I got stuck at the gas station last night with the same problem. Sounds basically like it's not getting gas.
I'm told I should change the crank position sensor. Does this sound right? Is there a way to check it before changing it? Any other thoughts before I take it to the dealer & spend another $600-800 would be greatly appreciated. I hate taking it to the dealer.

**OK, so now it won't start at all. Boy, that happened fast. Yesterday morning it was fine. In the evening, it happened for the twice, but did eventually start. This morning, nothing. Also, this morning, as I was trying to start it over and over, I got a weird tri-chime several times, and the battery light was on. That's a few months old, high end battery in there, as well as a new alternator. Thought the extra info might jog somebody's memory.

Last edited by mbeasom; 09-23-2011 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

classic sensor problem - see this post, which includes a video, about $100 sensor, change yourself. https://landroverforums.com/forum/di...ery+Dies+start

Old 09-23-2011, 07:25 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Is your service engine light on, if so, borrow a scanner and read the codes first.
Then go have your new battery checked and a 2 hour charge put on it, then make sure the engine will turn over. At that point might want to try starter fluid to see if the engine will start, if it does, then yes, try a crank sensor.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Drifting
Smile

Not sure exactly, but I may have fixed it. Found a thread on another forum about an '03 with the same problem. Guy apparently had crank position sensor replaced at dealer, much $$$, then still had the problem. Ended up realizing that the fuel pump wasn't running when the intermittent problem would occur, but he was pretty sure the pump was good, so he changed the relay, and poof, problem disappeared. So, on a whim, I just swapped the window washer and fuel pump relays (they appear identical), and it started! In fact, I started it about 5 times in a row trying to be sure it wasn't a fluke. It started every time. Will give it an hour or so, and try it again. For some reason, it seems to have the problem when it's been sitting for a little while. Will update again.

Oh, I forgot. No, DiscoMike, my service engine soon light is not on. If problem isn't fixed, will try the starter fluid. Thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Drifting
Default Maybe not...

This afternoon I got stuck in the car riders pickup lane at my kids school. Same thing, cranks but won't start, but not every time. Sometimes it's fine.
Anyway, sounds like everybody agrees on the crank position sensor, so I have ordered it. Will look at the video for replacing it now. Thanks again.