Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my mags 8mm and +4s. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got my mags 8mm and +4s. Help!

I can't control the itch to go out there in the middle of the night and put those babies in! It's our DD and so I have to wait till Saturday morning to work on her... but... but... but... that's like like three gut-wrenching days away and I'm getting anxious.

Any suggestions? Beer? Scotch?

-Anthony

Old 05-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have fun, be patient. Take one wire at a time. start at the coil and remove the top ones and let dangle. pull the bottom ones (one at a time) and replace from the coil pack to plug, putting the new wire in the exact same spot as the old one. You may have to lay accross the engine compartment looking down into the coil area. Get all wires together so you don't have to get up and down. focus on one side then the other and have a wiring diagrahm handy to avoid confusion on the firing order / wire placement. take your time do it right the first time.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

With SAI, it will be a little longer job but fairly easy to do.
I do have a different twist on the job though, remove all the wires, lay them out on the ground and match them up with the new replacements then start installing one at a time working from the drivers side lower wires across to the passengers side, then do the uppers from the drivers side to the passengers side. By doing this, you won't have to weave the wires through each other.
Do not use any die-electric on the coil end but use it on the plugs along with some anti-seize on the threads.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 AM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, the SAI is the only thing keeping me from doing this right after work, because I know I'll lose daylight because of it.

Mike, the plan to lay out all the wires is exactly what I was planning on doing. 'Glad to see a thumbs up on that approach from you.

gowest, climbing up and down isn't a big deal for me since I can't be in one spot for too long anyway. I created the updated firing/wiring diagram (posted in DeepBlueWater's write up) and have printed it out.

I just can't contain the urge to do it now that's all.

The other day, I went to a shop around the block from my house and asked the guy for a quote on rebuilding the driveshaft. 3 days later he sees me and asks me to come in that he has the quote ready. I told him, "I already did it. It's all good." He was shocked. However, I didn't feel like working on the car again and so asked what he would charge me to do the wires and plugs for me. He laughed and said, "If you can rebuild a driveshaft, I'm sure this will be cake for you." I shook his hand and said, "You're right." And walked away.

-Anthony

Old 05-12-2010, 11:48 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Antmen
Yeah, the SAI is the only thing keeping me from doing this right after work, because I know I'll lose daylight because of it.

Mike, the plan to lay out all the wires is exactly what I was planning on doing. 'Glad to see a thumbs up on that approach from you.

gowest, climbing up and down isn't a big deal for me since I can't be in one spot for too long anyway. I created the updated firing/wiring diagram (posted in DeepBlueWater's write up) and have printed it out.

I just can't contain the urge to do it now that's all.
Anthony - I know the feeling, I've had my Magnacors and +4's for over a month now! I'm going to be tackling this on Sunday and can't wait. I printed off your revised wiring diagram and have it in my garage ready to go (Thanks by the way!). Best of luck this weekend!

-Rob

Old 05-13-2010, 02:11 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stupid question on the plugs: How in the hell do you gap them?? (or are they already gapped?)

I have had mine for a month but didn't want to throw them in unless they were gapped correctly....

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Eak69
Stupid question on the plugs: How in the hell do you gap them?? (or are they already gapped?)

I have had mine for a month but didn't want to throw them in unless they were gapped correctly....

Thanks!
Eak69...if they are Bosch Platinum Plus 4's...they come pre-gapped...plug and play!

Old 05-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Three Wheeling

That's what I thought - but wanted to be safe!!

Thanks!
I know what I am doing this weekend!! - Wait - I STILL have to get the damn thing from overheating first!!!!

Old 05-13-2010, 08:08 PM
Mudding

It's spark plug wires dude. Put'em on - no thread required except to pick the proper beverage. Scotch. Easy task. Take your time and enjoy it. Don't try and throw them on in a hurry tonight! Savor it. Then come to my place and help me clean parts so I can put my heads back on next week.

Last edited by audiS4S6; 05-13-2010 at 08:11 PM.