Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a new code today, engine running a bit rough, could use advice.

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:35 PM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Got a new code today, engine running a bit rough, could use advice.

So after finally getting my cooling system sorted out today and getting the engine to run and maintain an excellent temperature, the Land Rover gods threw me my new maintenance assignment. You know, just to make sure I didn't get too bored just driving and enjoying my truck..

Code is P0327 which I understand means the drivers side knock sensor is sending a weak signal. Annoying because I had my mechanic throw in a pair of ebay/junkyard knock sensors when he was helping me get it through emissions, and since then I've also personally replaced all the O2 sensors with new Bosch replacements.

Truck still drives great but it feels a bit rougher than it should be idling at a stop. Obviously I could simply order the new Bosch sensor and install it and hope that clears it up, but I don't want to start throwing parts at the problem without looking into it first.

Truck has 164k miles. Head and valve cover gaskets replaced within the last 2 years from the previous owner. I always burn 91 octane from Chevron.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:48 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Stu AZ
So after finally getting my cooling system sorted out today and getting the engine to run and maintain an excellent temperature, the Land Rover gods threw me my new maintenance assignment. You know, just to make sure I didn't get too bored just driving and enjoying my truck..

Code is P0327 which I understand means the drivers side knock sensor is sending a weak signal. Annoying because I had my mechanic throw in a pair of ebay/junkyard knock sensors when he was helping me get it through emissions, and since then I've also personally replaced all the O2 sensors with new Bosch replacements.

Truck still drives great but it feels a bit rougher than it should be idling at a stop. Obviously I could simply order the new Bosch sensor and install it and hope that clears it up, but I don't want to start throwing parts at the problem without looking into it first.

Truck has 164k miles. Head and valve cover gaskets replaced within the last 2 years from the previous owner. I always burn 91 octane from Chevron.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
I can't say definitively that the eBay sensor is "faulty" but I would gamble...

Are the sensors interchangeable? Can you sawp passenger side with the drivers side? See if the code follows the eBay sensor.

Old 09-26-2016, 12:05 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I get p0327's every so often. Take a look for pinching in the harness.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:36 PM
Drifting

Thanks for the advice, guys. I can only find a single part listed online so I do believe they're interchangeable for both sides. I'll take a look at the wiring and clean the sensors, see if they work after being reattached.

Maybe I'll also throw in a bottle of fuel system cleaner with my next tank of fuel just for good measure.

Old 09-26-2016, 02:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Stu AZ
I always burn 91 octane from Chevron.
Run the tank till just about dry, then switch to 93.

If still nothing, I'd replace the sensor.

Old 11-02-2016, 03:08 PM
Drifting

So, 93 octane apparently doesn't exist in AZ. The only thing I can find is 91 and from what I've learned googling that might be the case statewide. I've been burning good brand 91 and even added a small bottle of Lucas additive for good measure to see if it helps, but it doesn't seem to have done much.

I went ahead and replaced the knock sensor with a brand new Gen LR part and inspected the wiring which appeared ok, but I still cleaned it up and added electrical tape to keep it from kinking. Went on a road trip and still throwing the same code...

I have a couple of accessories not working (including the horn..) so I'm planning on inspecting all of the wiring and checking the fuses this weekend. This might sound like a dumb question.. but are the replacement fuses going to be brand and model specific, or can I get generic replacement at the local parts store?

Old 11-02-2016, 03:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

fuses are generic. wiring on these pigs can be a pain, but some patience, some beer, and a good multi-meter will get you through most anything.

Old 11-02-2016, 08:03 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

The sensors are not side specific but swapping them would be a major chore because of their location behind the motor mounts.

I had trouble with my knock sensor once and similar symptoms, but it was the wire to the sensor. I had to splice and replace it which turned into a bigger deal than I expected because it is an odd wire with splices in it. Still, the symptoms disappeared when I spliced and re routed the wire.

Knock sensors are finely tuned but basically solid state. I don't really know how they can go bad.