Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a temperature gun -- Measured the cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 08:08 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 257 Likes on 214 Posts

It had better!

About ready to tow MagPie to the rover shop and then proceed to bend over

Old 05-10-2018, 08:10 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

I just went through the same thing minus the head gasket job
my issues were temps hitting 225
replaced Tstat with Atlantic British same results
got a lucky 8 180 stat same results
but my heater hoses were hot yours are not so you could rule out radiator
it seems you have bad circulation in the block or a bad water pump
after I installed a third Tstat Atlantic British my temps are now idle 206-208 running 194
these systems are a pain but if you don't have hot heater core hoses for sure you circulation is bad and probably not your stat or radiator as coolant will flow in the engine regardless I think

I tested my lucky 8 stat in a pot of water it seemed to open at 195 however when I installed it on my 03 my temps were 220

did nothing else but replace it with another stat and my temps dropped

there could be a bad batch of thermostats going around

Old 05-10-2018, 08:15 PM
Received 392 Likes on 305 Posts

Before you start spending more money get another Tstat that could be your problem all along

like I said I went through 2 Atlantic British Tstat warm weather and one lucky 8 black britpart and they were bad
spent money on new water pump same result
put in another Tstat boom solved my issues but I'm still not happy running 206 at idle

my previous 04 never hit 200 and that was with a Atlantic British warm weather soft spring stat
but my block was new put in by Po under warranty due to overhearing lucky for him it was under warranty
I saw the bill from shop here in Toronto
9500$$$ new block installed

Old 05-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Have I missed something? Did you flush the heater core? And/or did you try to bypass it? It sounds like the only thing you haven't replaced, or ruled-out. The inconsistent heat is either air or a plugged core. You shouldn't have to burp the system if when you fill it, you raise the expansion tank up, higher than the engine until it circulates and automatically air goes to highest point. Unless that core is plugged.. Disregard if you did and I missed it.

Old 05-11-2018, 10:09 AM
Winching
Received 54 Likes on 52 Posts

There have been times when I've had to burp the truck over 3 or 4 days. Once it's good, it's good. Til then, keep trying- if that's the issue.

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (05-12-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:11 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

When I bled my system for the third time after my overhaul, I kneeded the heater core hoses while I had the tank tied up to the hood well above the engine. I ended up having to put almost a quart of fluid in, that's how much air was in my heater core. These rovers seem to be the hardest things on the planet to bleed

Another word of advise, not sure how many do this, but before you put your new t-stat in, place it in water on the stove. Not boiling water, but hot enough to open the unit up. Then let it cool and make sure it closes. If she doesn't work, you can send it back clean and without possible damage to your engine

The following users liked this post:
shanechevelle (05-12-2018)
Old 05-11-2018, 10:58 AM
Pro Wrench

Core was bypassed when i diagnosed the bad stat initially. Prior to that I had been able to blow coolant through both ways and have it come out the other side. It could be partially clogged I suppose but it currently passes fluid through it without any trouble.

I had had hooked up the core lines again when installing the new stat, so I could bypass it again?

Originally Posted by wjsj69
Have I missed something? Did you flush the heater core? And/or did you try to bypass it? It sounds like the only thing you haven't replaced, or ruled-out. The inconsistent heat is either air or a plugged core. You shouldn't have to burp the system if when you fill it, you raise the expansion tank up, higher than the engine until it circulates and automatically air goes to highest point. Unless that core is plugged.. Disregard if you did and I missed it.

Old 05-11-2018, 11:00 AM
Pro Wrench

Ill have to try strapping the tank from the hood and kneed the core hoses.

already installed new tstat so didn’t do the boiling trick

Originally Posted by Twix
When I bled my system for the third time after my overhaul, I kneeded the heater core hoses while I had the tank tied up to the hood well above the engine. I ended up having to put almost a quart of fluid in, that's how much air was in my heater core. These rovers seem to be the hardest things on the planet to bleed

Another word of advise, not sure how many do this, but before you put your new t-stat in, place it in water on the stove. Not boiling water, but hot enough to open the unit up. Then let it cool and make sure it closes. If she doesn't work, you can send it back clean and without possible damage to your engine

Old 05-11-2018, 12:21 PM
Pro Wrench

Just bypassed core again, waiting for things to cool down. Was able to add another cup or so to the bleed screw / T.

Old 05-11-2018, 12:26 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

You realize that unhooking heater core hoses makes you have to start over bleeding the system? Adding coolant through the bleed screw only works if you keep the system closed, it is the final step in the process only to be done when the engine is stone cold from sitting overnight.

By bypassing the heater core you are essentially starting over so no need to do the bleed screw thing until you are done experimenting.

If it helps you isolate a problem then fine, but keep this in mind, you're wasting time doing the bleed screw trick and then reopening the system.

Quick Reply: Got a temperature gun -- Measured the cooling system